Culture And Sensitivity

Culture is a test done to identify the microorganism responsible for causing infection. Sensitivity is done to determine which medicine to use to treat the particular infection. Culture and sensitivity tests can be performed during urinary infection.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have a urinary tract infection with a burning urination. My urinalysis reveals nitrates and very small amounts of blood. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a urinary tract infection. The main symptoms is a burning sensation. When I urinate. I have tried two antibiotics Nitrofurantoin and Ciprofloxacin. I completed three days of Nitrofurantoin, but I also experienced a severe headache, and vomiting. I currently have one d...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for your query, I suggest you to get done ultrasound examination of kidney, ureter, and bladder to rule out stone and also try to get done urine culture and sensitivity report. Culture report may isolate the causative organism and sensitivity report will guid...  Read Full »

Why do I have indigestion and pain in the left side of the abdomen?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51 year old male, who has diabetes. For my diabetic problem, I am using Insulin Human Actrapid daily 10 units. Therefore, I am getting weak and getting fits. So far, I have had five fits. I got CT scan of the brain, and there was a small blood clot in the brain. I also have pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a urinary infection, which is causing all your symptoms of vomiting and abdominal pain. The kidney are not removing toxins from your body and its accumulation is causing all sympt...  Read Full »

Can you suggest a medicine for wet feeling in the anus?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had some wet feelings in the anus for the past one year. I had both colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. The doctor said everything was fine. They said probably the wet feeling is due to sweat. But, I feel it is some liquid discharge from the anus skin. Can you suggest some medication?  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: HI, Welcome to I have read your concern.It is better to take discharge over a swab and send it for culture and sensitivity. If you have any growth over it, then get treated based on the sensitivity.  Read Full »

Can taking multiple antibiotics cause redness and dryness of vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, Ever since being on multiple antibiotics for a persistent UTI a year ago, I have had vaginal problems. It was first a bout of yeast infections and then BV. I have tried many pills, external and internal creams, home remedies, and diet changes, but still, I have redness and dryness exte...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to How are you doing? Sorry to hear what you have been through. I feel you are having an imbalance in the normal and abnormal organism growth. For a normal vagina, you need both normal and abnormal organisms. When you take too many antibiotics one after other, it kills m...  Read Full »

How to diagnose if an infection is viral or bacterial?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Hassan Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The only way to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection is to take a sample of the mucus generated and to culture it in order to identify the causative organism. Your doctor must have anticipated that your infection as bacterial as you responded wel...  Read Full »

How can urine infection in a postpartum preeclampsia patient be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My 36-year-old wife has a urine infection. She was diagnosed with postpartum preeclampsia after two days of delivery of a female child. She had high blood pressure at the time of delivery but now it is normal. Her average blood pressure is 110/75 mmHg. She had a severe urinary infectio...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I would suggest you to repeat urine culture and drug sensitivity to determine the bacteria causing infection and the antibiotic to which it is sensitive. Few bacteria which cause urinary infection in women develop resistance very easily and become difficult to treat...  Read Full »

Why is there an unusual sense of something inside my urethra while urinating?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old male. I have problems in my private parts. Sometimes, I have slight numbness, slight pain in testis with coldness. But all this sensation does not last long. There is mild fever with tiredness and fatigue. Sometimes, I sense something inside my urethra while urinatin...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Well, the treatment is apt according to the drug sensitivity report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). The drug would have already started showing its effect by now that is within 48 hours after initiation if you have started. Kindly continue th...  Read Full »

What is post-vasectomy pain syndrome and how is it treated?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a vasectomy nine weeks ago. The first few days were fine but on the 6th or the 7th day, I started to feel a sense of fullness in my left testicle and I then experienced swelling. I rang my doctor and he prescribed me Difene which brought the swelling down but I still had tendernes...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Relax and do not worry. I am extremely concerned about your problem. I think you have PVPS (post-vasectomy pain syndrome) but it is a diagnosis of exclusion. It happens because of congestion of epididymis and various other reasons. There are some tests to be don...  Read Full »

How do culture viral tests uses only cell-free viruses to identify the infectious fluids?

Query: Hi doctor,Culture viral tests are the gold key test to identify if fluid is infectious or not. I would like to know how this test will determine if fluid is infectious if it does not consider the cell-associated virus. I am asking because viral culture uses filtration and centrifugation that take ap...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hi,Welcome to for writing to us, Fluid analysis is used to help diagnose the cause of inflammation in any cavity and or accumulation of fluid in the cavity. To determine the main reason for fluid accumulation, an initial set of tests (fluid protein, albumin, or LDH (lactate dehydr...  Read Full »

I tested for HSV six weeks after the possible exposure, and the results were negative. Should I go for a retest?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a test on day-42 (exact six weeks) post a possible exposure. The result shows HSV 1 and 2 IgM antibody (Serum, EIA). Result: Negative (0.64). Associated tests were HSV 1 and 2,  western blot IgM and IgG. What exactly is this test looking for? Only IgM, or both IgM as well as I...  Read Full »

Dr. G. S. S. Sandeep

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Enzyme Immuno Assay (EIA) is a type of ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). The test usually does not give positive results until about six weeks after exposure. The gold standard test would be a viral culture. If that is not available then, a western blot is rec...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.