Q. My daughter underwent CXL eye surgery a month back. How long to continue the eye drops?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

My daughter is 12 years old. She has undergone CXL surgery before a month. Due to pandemics, it is impossible to consult a doctor. After undergoing surgery, she uses Vigamox ophthalmic solution IP 0.5% three times a day and Carboxymethylcellulose eye drops IP five times a day. Is this good to take these eye drops continuously? What is the basic precaution to be taken?

#

CXL (corneal cross-linking) surgery is done for keratoconus. Usually, antibiotic drops are given for four to six weeks and so you can continue using Vigomax (Moxifloxacin) two to three times a day for six weeks. Lubricant or artificial tears can be used for the long-term to avoid having dry eyes. So continue taking it till you get examined by your doctor. If there is no redness or pain or any other problem, then there is nothing to be worried. After doing CXL, it is necessary to have a follow-up to assess the condition whether it seems to be stable or still progressive. You need to take a topography scan after six months or a year.

|