Q. I have flesh color bumps in my right thigh with no pain or irritation. Could it be sunburn?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I have flesh color bumps only on my right thigh. I noticed it several weeks ago, maybe months after being outside and getting sunburn. I thought it was heat rash but they have not gone away. It seems I have a few more now too. I am not constantly in the sun and when I am I usually wear long pants and rarely get sun on my legs. They do not itch, or hurt but I am concerned. Please help.

#

I understand your concern, but it would be advised if you send me a photo of lesions so I can guide you better through this.

I have attached the photos.

#

I have seen the photo you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it looks like cystic lesions that result from hair follicles that are clogged with sebum. Nothing to be panicked about. Since it is not itchy, it is unlikely to be a heat rash.

It will heal on its own over time, however, if you need medications you can use Tretin 0.025% cream only in the night, only over the lesion, provided you are not pregnant or on any photosensitive medications. Use the medication for two weeks and review it. You can also put a moisturizing cream in the morning and afternoon as Tretin tends to dry out the skin in that area.

Please apply sunscreen over the area as this medication can make skin photosensitive. If no changes after applying the ointment are observed, please visit a dermatologist for an examination under a dermatoscopy microscope and if needed a skin biopsy. If there is an enlargement of the lesion, bleeding or ulceration please consult. As of now, seeing the lesion it is most likely to be cystic in nature and would improve with this cream and there is no reason to worry.

|