Hair Follicle Infection

Hair follicle infection can be due to ingrown hair, bacterial entry into the follicle, fungal infection, blocked hair follicle due to oily cosmetic products, damaged hair follicles due to activities like hair removal, tight clothes, etc. It can lead to localized swelling with redness, pain, and pus discharge. Antibacterial, antifungal, and steroid skin creams wearing loose, skin-friendly, and breathable clothing, cleaning the affected area with warm salt water are some measures to relieve its symptoms.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How to treat little red bumps on the thighs and butt?

Query: Hi doctor,I have some red bumps on my thighs and butt for the last couple of years. It is present on the sides of the thighs and back of the butt. It is not painful or itchy. I thought of it as razor burn and tried to use different razors and creams. But nothing helped me. I also have them on my inn...  Read Full »

Dr. John H. Bocachica

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You have keratosis pilaris. They cause tiny bumps on the sites of hair follicles or just next to the hair follicles and they get irritated easily by shaving. Medications containing Lactic acid tend to work well by unplugging the pores and it reduces the bumps. It restor...  Read Full »

I am having a hard lump between my testicles and the opening of my anus. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I found this lumpy thing between my testicles and the opening of my anus. I have had a couple of boils before in that area a few years back. I found this a few days ago as I was showering. It does not hurt and it is hard. Maybe it is scar tissue, or something else? Do I need to investigate...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhin Varghese

Answer: Hi,Welcome to looks a little red (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Most probably, it is an infection of the hair follicle (similar to a boil). Keep the area clean and dry. Apply Mupirocin cream twice a day and take the tablet Azithromycin 500 mg in the morning a...  Read Full »

Does the bump on my scalp indicate skin cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in my early twenties and I have a bump on my scalp. It has been there for very long, and I suddenly became worried about it. I am so afraid and worried of having skin cancer. I am using Asido Fusidico ointment for this.Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Abdel Hakam Soliman

Answer: Hi,Welcome to I think it is nothing, but folliculitis. Do not worry. Please add an antibiotic like the tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg thrice daily for five days, in addition to your currently used Acido Fusidico ointment to be used topically three times daily. Please do not rub or scratch it.  Read Full »

Why do I get painless red bumps on my scrotum after sexual intercourse or masturbation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past couple of months, I have noticed that after sexual intercourse (protected) or masturbation, I get these red bumps on my scrotum that feel like a tiny ball. They usually do not cause any pain, and I can tell they are not attached to the testicle. If I do not masturbate for...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There is no relation between masturbation or ejaculation and skin bumps or rashes. I want to reassure you that if those rashes are painless, not itching, and disappear by themselves, it is nothing serious. I also would prefer to look at pictures of the lesion to clar...  Read Full »

What is the reason for recurrent lumps in my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a lump in my penis. When I had this before, it just went down using a cream and it has come back five months later in the same place. I have had the same partner. I had sex repeatedly and a week later, I noticed it. I have attached a picture.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be a furuncle secondary to an infected hair follicle, which might be caused by pulling out of hair. Apply a steroid based ointment, so that it subsides. If it is painful, use an ant...  Read Full »

Can you please tell me what this tiny red bump is?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed a small mole or lump. I do not know what it is. Can someone please take a look at some of the photos? Size is around 0.5 cm or less. It did bleed because I tried to squeeze it, and also, the redness is because I scratched some of it. Please help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I saw the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). There is a small red bump, possibly due to the scratching of the bump. It could be folliculitis. Folliculitis is the inflammation or infection that can affect one or more hair f...  Read Full »

Why do pink spots on my penis turn white on scratching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34-years-old male, and I am married. I have had pink spots on my shaft head for more than a month. It is itchy and turns white on scratching. There is no discharge coming out of any kind, no pain, and no erection issue. I am using Fusidic acid and Betamethasone cream for two week...  Read Full »

Dr. Sharath Kumar. C

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your pink spots on the shaft are called penile pimples, and the causes for penile bumps are as follows; 1) Folliculitis is an infection of hair follicles. 2) Infected pimples. 3) Sebaceous cyst. 4) Epidermoid cyst. It is caused by ker...  Read Full »

I have a wart near my breast. Kindly suggest a medicine to remove it.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a small wart just near my breast, it is there from childhood, and it has grown with time. Please suggest some medicines that will remove it. I have attached a picture of the wart.  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Please send few closeup photographs taken under natural light. Revert with more information to an allergy specialist online -->  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for a boil that is oozing out from multiple pores.

Query: Hi doctor, I have boils that appear from time to time. Now, I have some boils above my beltline. It started outlining an ingrown hair with a white head. My wife tried to pull the hair with tweezers. But zit popped and we never got the hair. I have used some peroxide on it and drained more. On the n...  Read Full »

Dr. Bincy Varghese

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Recurrent boils can occur due to a bacterial infection of the hair follicle and it can cause painful pus-filled eruptions on the body. If you are having a frequent recurrence, then it can occur due to persistent infection or reinfection. Please mention whether you h...  Read Full »

How to treat ingrown hair and dark spots below the belly button?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some ingrown hair and dark spots below my belly button. I do not know what to do. My skin tone is brown and I have this issue for a year. I pluck my hair and it regrows again leaving some dark spots and pimples. Kindly help.   Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. You are having a form of folliculitis. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle that occur due to ingrown hair. The growth of ingrown hair can get aggravated due to shaving practice and it needs to be corrected. It is better to trim th...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.