Hair Follicle Infection

What could be the reason for tiny hard lumps on the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had noticed small pimple-like hard and sharp to touch lumps on my penis around the Fordyce spots area. I want to know whether it is due to hair follicle or cyst or some STD? I have also tested HIV and VRDL, and the result came negative.  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lumps are looking like infected hair follicles or inflamed sebaceous cysts. But physical examination is important to know the nature of bumps. If they are infected one, antibiotics are required both oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic cream application. Henc...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two abscesses, which looks like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both the abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos. Please suggest some medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would not be an insect bite unless it appeared overnight. After reviewing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like an infection of the hair follicle. For such a skin infection, overweight and diabetes are the risk factors. I would ...  Read Full »

What should I do to help my daughter with painful bump behind her ear?

Query: Hello doctor, A few days ago, my daughter compliants about an itching spot behind her ear. I checked it out and it was red and swollen with a quarter size knot in the center. Tonight she complains of pain behind her ear same spot still red and swollen now with three pearl size lumps. Is this an eme...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is she having a fever as well? Do you find such a swelling, although smaller, behind the other ear, or in her neck, or in her armpits? Does it pain when she is eating or chewing? Did she have a running nose, or blocked nose, cough in the last two weeks?  Read Full »

Why do I get flesh color bumps on thighs, though it is not exposed to sun often?

Query: Hello doctor, I have flesh color bumps only on my right thigh. I noticed it several weeks ago, maybe months after being outside and getting sunburn. I thought it was heat rash but they have not gone away. It seems I have a few more now too. I am not constantly in the sun and when I am I usually wea...  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern, but it would be advised if you send me a photo of lesions so I can guide you better through this.  Read Full »

What could cause a small pimple-like bump on scrotum with hard white stuff in it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two pimple-looking white bumps on my scrotum and want to make sure it is nothing to be concerned about. One I was able to pop easily like a zit almost and the other I tried but it does not seem to want to. It is like the white stuff is hard under it.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are infections of hair follicles, which are similar to pimple only. It is usually not concerning but should be treated with antibiotics. It looks quite localized and uncomplicated from the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So in my opin...  Read Full »

How to treat ingrown hair and dark spots below the belly button?

Query: Hi I have a problem with ingrown hair and dark spots below my belly button. I don't know how to treat them. My skin tone is brown. It's been going on for year now. I pluck the few hairs that grow and they grow back but they leave dark spots and pimples. Thank you very much in advance  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hello Welcome to icliniq.com Hope you are having a good day and staying safe 1) I understand your concern, and from your history, please not that you are having a form of folliculitis, which is bacterial infection of the hair follicle, due to the ingrown hair. 2) Growth of ingrown hair can be aggr...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for a boil that is oozing out from multiple pores.

Query: I have had boils appear from time to time. The come to a head , break and drain. This time I have one on my side above my beltline. It started outlining lime an ingrown hair with a white head. My wife tried to pull the hair with tweezers, the zit popped and we never got the hair. Put some peroxi...  Read Full »

Dr. Bincy Varghese

Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hi! Welcome to icliniq & thanks for the query. Recurrent boils can be a nuisance. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle and can cause painful pus filled eruptions on the body. If you are having frequent recurrences it could be because of persistent infection or reinfection. Are you d...  Read Full »

How to get rid of painful pimple in inner ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this pimple in my inner ear and it has been eight days but until now it is still hurt. I am currently taking Mefenamic acid.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. There could be an infection of the hair follicle in the ear as a result of which it can create excruciating pain. Besides the wax would have further got pushed toward the ear drum causing severe pain. Plain use of antiinflammatories like Mefenamic acid alone will ...  Read Full »

Are the swellings present in underarms due to cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 28 year old male. For the past five years, I have few swellings on both underarms. Recently, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. While browsing on the internet, for her condition, I found out that my swelling may be of lymph nodes and may be cancerous. This urged me to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your anxiety. However, to assure you and also to explain the swelling related to cancer is usually painless. From your history, it appears that you may be having some hair root infection, because of which lymph node could be swollen. I think more on the line...  Read Full »

How long does it take for bumps due to razor injury to go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I did a shave last week and hurt myself pretty badly. Now, I have this bump and it has been a week. I have been using Neosporin, Advil, Claritin, and hot baths. What is this?  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures that you attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Based on the description you mentioned, it looks like a folliculitis (hair follicle inflammation) or a razor bump. But you mentioned in the picture that a similar lesion wa...  Read Full »