Q. My cystocele repair surgery failed. Should I get it done again?

Dr. Deepti Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 61 year old female and a diabetic for the last ten years. I had a cystocele repair surgery along with hysterectomy and cervix and ovaries removal five months ago. There is a slight discharge on and off. I did a urine culture now and found that there was a colony of Enterococcus faecalis. Please let me know if this is serious and whether I have to take a course of antibiotics for it. I do not have any symptoms of UTI or abscess etc. Also, the cystocele repair was not a success as the bladder is still at the mouth of the vagina. Please also let me know if anything can be done to put the bladder back in place. If this is not done, what are the repercussions?

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your query and understand the concerns.

• Antibiotics are to be taken if there is a presence of bacteria in significant colony count.
  • In a case of a cystocele, a repair can be done using TOT (trans-obturator tape) or TVT (tension-free vaginal tape) techniques. These are advanced procedures used for the cystoceles which are not corrected by vaginal cystocele repair.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Regards.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 
since i still have a mild discharge even at six months after the operation my doctor prescribed a lab test with a smear of the discharge. it has tested afb positive. I have attached the files. Please advise.

Dr. Deepti Verma

# Hi dear,
I have reviewed the report.
It shows AFB or tuberculosis infection.
You need to take antitubercular treatment regularly as advised by your doctor.
Regards
Dr Deepti Verma

|