Q. My cystocele repair surgery failed. Should I get it done again?

Answered by
Dr. Deepti Verma
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Aug 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 61 year old female and a diabetic for the last ten years. I had a cystocele repair surgery along with hysterectomy and cervix and ovaries removal five months ago. There is a slight discharge on and off. I did a urine culture now and found that there was a colony of Enterococcus faecalis. Please let me know if this is serious and whether I have to take a course of antibiotics for it. I do not have any symptoms of UTI or abscess etc. Also, the cystocele repair was not a success as the bladder is still at the mouth of the vagina. Please also let me know if anything can be done to put the bladder back in place. If this is not done, what are the repercussions?

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query and understand the concerns.

  • Antibiotics are to be taken if there is a presence of bacteria in significant colony count.
  • In a case of a cystocele, a repair can be done using TOT (trans-obturator tape) or TVT (tension-free vaginal tape) techniques. These are advanced procedures used for the cystoceles which are not corrected by vaginal cystocele repair.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Regards.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?

since i still have a mild discharge even at six months after the operation my doctor prescribed a lab test with a smear of the discharge. it has tested afb positive. I have attached the files. Please advise.

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi dear,
I have reviewed the report.
It shows AFB or tuberculosis infection.
You need to take antitubercular treatment regularly as advised by your doctor.
Dr Deepti Verma

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the chest X-ray of a UTI patient.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was admitted to hospital nine months back with a catheter-related UTI. She was also hypothermic. Tests revealed that the UTI had become urinary sepsis. She was given IV antibiotics for this. Her legs were swollen with edema, as was her lower abdomen, but her chest was clear....  Read Full »

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.