Q. I have diabetes, and my D-dimer level is high. How can I reduce it to normal?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

My D-dimer is high (2100 ng/mL). However, all my blood reports are normal. Even my CRP is under control. I am a diabetic patient. What is the cause of the high D-dimer score, and what is the solution to make it normal? Please help.

#

I have gone through your query and looked at the reports you have provided (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). As shown in the reports, your D-dimer level is 2.11 mcg/mL while normal is less than 0.5 mcg/mL. Though these raised levels are not considered very high elevated D-dimer can be due to many causes. Old age, smoking, trauma, infection, liver disease, malignancy, and heart disease can elevate D-dimer. I would like to see all other reports to give the most probable cause in your case. Also, I would like to know if you have any other illnesses like thyroid, hypertension, etc. Do you smoke or drink alcohol? Do you have any fever, cough, and cold? In your case, as you have diabetes, there will be a component of inflammation going on in your body, along with a possible heart problem, which could be the cause of elevated D-dimer. I would like to see what medication you are taking and your other blood reports. Based on which modification of the treatment can be done. I would be happy to help you further if you have any other questions.

|