Q. Are there any long term side effects of Dapoxetine?

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Aug 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I am 21 years old. I have a problem of premature ejaculation. I have read 30 mg Dapox is effective for treatment of premature ejaculation. Can I start with od dose of Dapox? And for how long should I continue the medicine? Are there any long term side effects of Dapox? Can I take Duralast? I am taking Minoxidil for hair loss. Please guide.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• At your age, it is unusual to have premature ejaculation (PME). PME is caused when intravaginal ejaculation time is less than a minute. And there is lack of satisfaction from coitus.
  • Yes, Depox (Dapoxetine) is an effective drug for premature ejaculation (PME). To begin with 30 mg is the dose, which can be gradually increased. Besides Dapoxetine, Paroxetine can also be used.
  • Once started, it needs to be continued for a period of about four to six months and then it should be stopped gradually. If taken for a longer period then the efficacy will decrease; cardiac and gastrointestinal symptoms can also occur. Before starting it on your own, do consult a psychiatrist.
  • Duralast is same as Dapoxetine. It is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) congener.
  • Single dose will not lead to a drastic improvement in your sexual timings. It will only improve gradually.
  • Yes, it can cause drowsiness and sedation as a common side effect. In order to avoid this side effect, it is always advised to take Dapoxetine at night before sleeping.
  • At your age, it is preferable to try measures other than medications first, such as, Kegel exercises, healthy diet, regular workout and avoidance of alcohol or tobacco abuse.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

What is Dapoxetine used for?

Dapoxetine belongs to the fast-acting selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) group of drugs and was originally created as an antidepressant. As they get absorbed and eliminated from the body rapidly, they are not suitable for the treatment of depression and other psychiatric illness. Presently, it is being used in the management of premature ejaculation (PE), but it is not FDA-approved. Multiple trials have confirmed the efficacy of different doses of Dapoxetine on managing different types of PE

2.

How does Dapoxetine work?

The exact mechanism of action is not known, but Dapoxetine is believed to increase the activity of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that passes signals between nerve cells, in the central nervous system. This somehow increases the time it takes to ejaculate and improves control over the ejaculation.

3.

Who should take Dapoxetine?

Men aged 18 to 64 years can take Dapoxetine if they are suffering from premature ejaculation. Some of the indications for this medicine are:
Men with intravaginal ejaculatory latency time (IELT) less than 1 minute. IELT is the time taken to ejaculate during vaginal sex.
Repeated PE with minimal sexual stimulation.
Relationship problems due to PE.
Men who ejaculated prematurely, the majority of the time over the past 6 months.
No or poor control over ejaculation.

4.

Can Dapoxetine be taken daily?

No, Dapoxetine is not for continuous daily use. Dapoxetine is available in 30 and 60 mg doses. All patients are started with 30 mg, which needs to be taken 1 to 3 hours before anticipated sexual activity. It should not be taken more than once in 24 hours.
If your doctor feels that 30 mg is not sufficient, and if it did not cause any adverse effects, then the dose might be increased to 60 mg.

5.

Is it safe to use Dapoxetine?

It is relatively safe and effective to use Dapoxetine. As it is a fast-acting SSRI, it is rapidly absorbed and excreted from the body in a few hours. This results in minimal drug getting accumulated in the body, which leads to no or fewer side effects.

6.

What are the side effects of Dapoxetine?

The common side effects seen are nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, diarrhea, insomnia, and headache. And rarely, it causes decreased libido and erectile dysfunction.

7.

How long does Dapoxetine stay in your system?

For a single dose of 30 mg and 60 mg, Dapoxetine is eliminated in the urine after 18 and 21 hours respectively. It reaches maximum plasma concentration after 1 to 2 hours of oral administration.

8.

Can Dapoxetine permanently cure premature ejaculation?

Premature ejaculation cannot be cured but can only be controlled. Dapoxetine helps in delaying and controlling ejaculation only when taken 1 to 3 hours before sex.

Having depression and not getting well with SSRI. Can you suggest any treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I have tried triglycerides and SSRI, but they do not seem to work. I also have BP and diabetes. I am currently on cardiac medicines as I have undergone angioplasty twice. Please suggest me the treatment for depression.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are currently on SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). Have you consulted a psychiatrist or your cardiologist regarding medicines for depression? Several medications are available for treating depression, but each drug takes on an average of two w...  Read Full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins. In your case, it could be thrombophlebitis, but...  Read Full

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Cervical length needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do not need t...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now