Q. I have a black spot on my chest. How can I remove it?

Dr. Dilip Meena

I noticed a black spot in my chest, It looks like an after mark from a boil or scratch (attachment is removed to protect patient's identity), but I just wanted to confirm. It is slightly raised and has a slight crust at the center. I do not have any pain or itching. Please help.

#

I understand your concern. This condition is known as Dilated Pore of Winer. This is a harmless or benign tumor of the hair follicular infundibulum. It means the proliferation of the upper part of hair follicle cells makes a pouch in the skin. This pouch gets filled with secretion known as keratin. So on the surface, it is seen dark in color at the center of a dilated pore. This does not cause any problem, but it should be done surgically if you want to remove it.

Will it eventually develop if not removed? Can the pain or irritation persist in the future? Please help.

#

Yes, it can cause irritation or discomfort. If you feel pain in the future surgical removal is suggested. Would you please take consent from your physician?

Thank you for the response. What are the causes of discomfort or pain? Can it be caused by too much sweating or not taking a shower for a few days?

Please help.

#

As I mentioned earlier, it is caused by the proliferation of follicular infundibulum cells, but what leads to that is not precisely known yet. But it is seen more commonly in men and in people who have a history of truncal acne (acne on the chest, back, and shoulders). Not taking a shower does not cause this.

Thank you

|