Q. What are the ways to treat dark spot under eye?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Dec 06, 2019

I have a dark spot (looks like a freckle) under my eye, and at times that eye looks like it has been bruised. Has been this way for about 3 to 6 years. I have tried skin whitening, and dark spot corrections, even skin tone creams, nothing is working. Anything you could suggest to help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

I am apprised of your concerns. I think that you are having a melanocytic nevus or mole under the eye. The redness that develops in the eye seems to be unrelated to the presence of mole. Moles can have varying depths which may involve only upper layers of skin or both the upper and lower layers of the skin. That is why, all of them do not respond to treatments that are meant only for skin lesions invading only the upper layers of the skin. The upper layers are called epidermis and the lower one is known as dermis. The best way out for such a condition in which dermis too is involved is to go for treatments that have the capability to go up to the dermis.

For most of my patients, especially females and having facial lesions, I advise laser removal as lasers for this condition leaves negligible spot, are inexpensive as compared to other treatments, and have the capability to remove the whole lesion and heal fast too.Till that time that you decide to have it removed, you might like to use a concealer to mask the lesions.

Certain other treatments like surgery end up with scarring. That is why, I am not in favor of that. I am sure, aided by this advice, now you are better educated about the options available and will get rid of the lesion soon.

| 

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full »

New moles are appearing in my palms. Is it melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. For the last six years, new black moles have been appearing in my palms. It is not creating issues like itching, pain, etc. I just want to know whether it a symptom of melanoma.  Read Full »

I have got round dark spots on the face. Please advice on how to remove it.

Query: Hello doctor, I have got round dark spots on face. It was light initially and became darker later on. Give me advice on how to remove it.  Read Full »