Q. I have ingrown hair and dark spots below my belly button. How to treat them?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2021

I have some ingrown hair and dark spots below my belly button. I do not know what to do. My skin tone is brown and I have this issue for a year. I pluck my hair and it regrows again leaving some dark spots and pimples. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. You are having a form of folliculitis. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle that occur due to ingrown hair. The growth of ingrown hair can get aggravated due to shaving practice and it needs to be corrected. It is better to trim the hair rather than shaving it. You can apply Fusidic cream after cleansing the area thoroughly in the morning and afternoon. You can use Tretinoin cream 2% cream only at night for two weeks. Keep the area dry and always sterilize your shaving device before using it. For treating dark spots, you can use Kojivit cream (Kojic acid) after taking treatment with Tretinoin. Avoid shaving and plucking hair on the area until the flareup subsides.

|