Q. Why am I not having any interest and feeling hopeless after retirement?

Dr. K. V. Anand

I find this difficult to explain. I wake from sleep and have to work to get back. I have lost interest in all activities, feel hopeless and empty. I can do things around the house and drive but these take a lot of effort. I just do not feel myself. I at 63, have just retired and I just do not feel anything. I have had dark thoughts too.

#

I can understand. You are just retired and that could be the basic problem. Just retired simply means being detached from whatever the circumstances enjoyed before the retirement. Friends, office, responsibility, etc. Suddenly you feel empty and start feeling old. There are many things to explain. You can read about retirement psychological problems. You will have an insight into your present condition. But, you can be reassured, this condition will not last. You must make sure that you be engaged and physically active. That is it. Just make sure you do not weigh yourself down. You are the same person as before, but more mature than before. You can overcome this too. Take care.

|