Q. Why am I feeling sad and do not feel like doing anything often?

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat
Published on Sep 19, 2018

I am a male. For a while, I have been feeling very down like I do not feel happy. I feel sad but then after a while, I feel alright. Then I feel sad again. Sometimes, I wanna be left alone, sometimes, I wish I had more people and I think about self-harm a lot and I cannot cry easily but when I cry, I cry a lot and I do not feel like eating but when I do I crave a lot of food. Then I will not eat properly for a few days. I have an interest in playing games but I do not even feel like playing games or doing anything.

#

It is good that your weight, height, BMI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are within normal limits and age is appropriate. No such stress factor has been described by you. Is there any stress and mental trauma that troubles you or any situation that creates stress? You described all symptoms going towards major depressive episode. In depression, the person wants to live alone and have decreased interest in pleasurable activities and suicidal thoughts are also present.

The first thing you should do is discuss your problem and start talking. Never let yourself free, try to be busy in other activities. Start regular physical exercise. It increases endogenous opiates like Endorphins. Start medications.

T3, T4, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

Major depressive episode.

Start medication and behavior therapy.

Avoid loneliness.

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

Why do I wake up tired and with a headache every day?

Query: Hi, I sleep at 10 PM at night and get up at 7 AM. I am getting adequate sleep. But for the last few days, I wake up very tired in the morning and this is causing me to sleep in office. Please give me advice regarding this.  Read Full »