Q. How can parents keep their children safe around water this summer?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

What do parents need to know about keeping their children safe around water this summer? How to stay safe at a pool (in the water and around the pool area)? How to stay safe at a beach (in the water and on the shore)? What are possible signs of distress or danger parents should look for (extreme exhaustion, coughing, heavy breathing)? What is dry drowning and what to look for? Most important points parents should teach their kids about water safety.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

1. Staying safe in and around the pool:

Avoid taking children between the age of 6 months to 4 years near pools as they may go unnoticed into the pool and may drown. If at all you do take children to the pools make sure they have their floats and other safety equipment on at all times even when out of the pool. Make sure children do not drink the water of the pool.

2. Staying safe in and around a beach:

All of the above tips plus be careful of children eating sand. Watch out for sea urchins, crabs and insects that may bite the children. Carry enough water with you and advice the children to drink plenty of water so as to prevent dehydration on a hot sunny day at the beach.

3. Warning signs: Breathlessness, fainting, drowsiness, convulsion.

4. Dry drowning is when water enters the child's nose and upper respiratory airway but does not enter the lungs due to spasm of the upper respiratory tract. Watch out for breathlessness, chest pain and irritability in this case.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I am having sore throat with cough, sneezing, joint pain, and runny nose. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past two weeks I have had the following symptoms: Sore throat that feel inflammed and slightly swollen, a cough, sneezing, and runny nose constantly, severe aches in my joints especially my right shoulder and wrist, my temperature keeps jumping from really high to low, constant h...  Read Full »

Which infection causes sore throat, white patches, and excess mucus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat, white patches, excess mucus (postnasal drip), and small red bumps on my tongue. What kind of infection is this?  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »