Q. After safe sex, is it necessary to have pregnancy test for delay in periods?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had protected sex before 10 days of my period using condom. He did not ejaculate inside me. Before that day while having some foreplay a little amount of semen spilled near my vaginal area.

Next day I took i-pill for safety concern. But I did not get my periods yet. Today is my due. I am having lower abdomen and back pain. What are the chances of pregnancy? Can I have home pregnancy test?

#

There are very less chance of becoming pregnant as you had protected sex as well as you took i-pill within 24 hours of sex. Second thing, you can have irregular one or two cycle or your periods might get delayed as you have taken i-pill. You can do pregnancy test at home as you do not get your periods on time.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your reply. Shall I take pregnancy test now? Because it is just 10 days before I had intercourse. I am regular in my menstrual cycle. I am having severe pain in back and lower abdomen also.

#

Well, there is no use of doing pregnancy test now. This pain might be because you might start with periods. I recommend you to take tablet Meftal spas (Mefenamic acid) 250 mg one tablet now. That will help in pain relief.

|