Q. Why do I have abdominal pain after unprotected sex?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2018

I had unprotected sex 19 days back. My period is always regular and my expected date was in the first week the following month. I had uneasiness and fatigue by the end of last month. Left side upper abdominal pain started a week back. It comes occasionally and goes on its own. Occasionally, the pain shifted to right side upper abdominal pain, then lower left side abdominal pain etc. My periods did not appear on the expected date. I did a pregnancy test yesterday, but the result was negative. Since yesterday, my appetite has reduced. After having dinner, my abdominal pain started increasing and it only stopped after I intentionally puked out half of the food I ate. Today morning there was severe abdominal pain, periods like pain, and some drops of blood came out. After that I was revealed. Now the bleeding again stopped. Periods like pain persists and uneasiness after taking food. I wonder, whether I am pregnant and is that implantation bleeding. I read that the implantation bleeding occurs after seven to ten days of intercourse and before your missed period. In my case, there is a long gap and it is two days after the missed period. What could it be? I have no other symptoms of sore breast or nausea. Except, I feel fatigue especially in mornings and has become an early sleeper. I also have uneasiness after having food. No aversion or special interest to any food. But, not at all feeling hungry. Frequent periods like pain in the center lower abdomen. If there is a possibility of pregnancy, when can I again do a urine pregnancy test?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The symptoms appear more of premenstrual syndrome and as you had a day of bleeding with on and off lower abdominal pain off and on. There is likelihood that your menses shall resume again in few days unless you have conceived.

Urine pregnancy test is not sensitive until eight days post missed periods and hence it is advised that you should opt for a blood based serum beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test to rule out pregnancy conclusively.

If the hCG levels are less than 5 ng/dL then you are surely not pregnant. But if they are higher then you are surely pregnant and the bleed that you had was an implantation bleed possibly or an early sign of threatened miscarriage.

So, please get a serum beta-hCG test done to have a clear idea with regards to possible pregnancy as you had sex during your fertile period.

Revert back after the test to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I bled after having sex. Is it implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old unmarried lady. Now, I am in a very panic period of stress and in seek of your advice. I had intercourse with my fiance on the first day of my periods and again after 20 days that is on my most fertile day. I got my periods 13 days later and it lasted for around three d...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to PMS or pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my period on the 29th of last month. It lasted for six days (usually seven). The cycle is usually 30 to 33 days. I had unprotected sex on the last day of my period (4th of this month). He did not penetrate deep and did not ejaculate inside as well. I usually get acne, but now it is ...  Read Full »

Having abdominal pain and bloated feeling for five months. Could this be due to colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had abdominal pain for five months. It is mainly under the right side ribs along the right flank. I also have some pain on the left. I feel gassy and bloated. The stomach makes some crazy noises. I was constipated for a few months, but now I have constant diarrhea. I am going to ...  Read Full »