Q. Is Unwanted-72 effective when taken an hour after unprotected sex?

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

Hi doctor,

My wife had Unwanted-72 an hour after unprotected sex. Would it protect her from an unwanted pregnancy?

Do you have a question on Unwanted 72 or Urine Pregnancy Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

MBBS., MS., DNB
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

• Even the emergency pills like Unwanted-72 carry a failure rate of 1 %. So, please ensure she take a urine pregnancy test if she misses a period.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Surely we will get this done. But, my question is, is this pill as effective from the first hour?  Because, I have heard that the best time to take this pill (Unwanted-72) is between 24 hours and 72 hours after sex. Appreciate your quick reply.

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

MBBS., MS., DNB
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

• The mechanism of action of the emergency contraceptive pills like Unwanted-72 or I-pill is by interfering with the implantation process. So, even if you have taken it within one hour or anytime within 72 hours, its efficacy remains the same. It can be taken up to 72 hours of unprotected intercourse as sperms may remain alive until then.

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?
Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Oral contraceptive pills are quite safe and do not affect periods in bad way. Though does not protect 100% but chance of pregnancy is almost nil. If you have sex once a month then you can take emergency pill, but it is known to be less effective. It should not be used mor...  Read Full »

Should I take an emergency pill if my partner used a condom?
Query: Hello doctor, I had sex yesterday afternoon. It was on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. It was a protected sex. My partner used a condom and ejaculated inside it. Now, I am confused whether to take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I personally do not want to take one because I am worried...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Condoms have a failure rate of 15 percent and can cause pregnancy. However, we do not always recommend emergency contraception if you have used a condom. If you have used it correctly and felt that there was no condom breakage or leakage from them, there is no need to ...  Read Full »

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now