Q. Is Unwanted-72 effective when taken an hour after unprotected sex?

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

Hi doctor,

My wife had Unwanted-72 an hour after unprotected sex. Would it protect her from an unwanted pregnancy?

#

• Even the emergency pills like Unwanted-72 carry a failure rate of 1 %. So, please ensure she take a urine pregnancy test if she misses a period.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Surely we will get this done. But, my question is, is this pill as effective from the first hour?  Because, I have heard that the best time to take this pill (Unwanted-72) is between 24 hours and 72 hours after sex. Appreciate your quick reply.

#

• The mechanism of action of the emergency contraceptive pills like Unwanted-72 or I-pill is by interfering with the implantation process. So, even if you have taken it within one hour or anytime within 72 hours, its efficacy remains the same. It can be taken up to 72 hours of unprotected intercourse as sperms may remain alive until then.

|