Q. Is Unwanted-72 effective when taken an hour after unprotected sex?

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee
Published on Jun 05, 2018

Hi doctor,

My wife had Unwanted-72 an hour after unprotected sex. Would it protect her from an unwanted pregnancy?

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Even the emergency pills like Unwanted-72 carry a failure rate of 1 %. So, please ensure she take a urine pregnancy test if she misses a period.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Surely we will get this done. But, my question is, is this pill as effective from the first hour?  Because, I have heard that the best time to take this pill (Unwanted-72) is between 24 hours and 72 hours after sex. Appreciate your quick reply.

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The mechanism of action of the emergency contraceptive pills like Unwanted-72 or I-pill is by interfering with the implantation process. So, even if you have taken it within one hour or anytime within 72 hours, its efficacy remains the same. It can be taken up to 72 hours of unprotected intercourse as sperms may remain alive until then.

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »

Should I take an emergency pill if my partner used a condom?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex yesterday afternoon. It was on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. It was a protected sex. My partner used a condom and ejaculated inside it. Now, I am confused whether to take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I personally do not want to take one because I am worried...  Read Full »

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full »