Q. I had blood discharge 10 days post i-pill intake and I missed my regular period. Why?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2019

I am a 21-year-old female. I had unprotected intercourse with my partner the day after my periods end and consumed an i-pill on the same day. I had a blood discharge after 10 days and it was there for three days. I expected my period dates to be between 19th to 24th of this month but my periods were delayed. So I did a home pregnancy test and it is negative, and till now I have not got my periods, are they delayed? What may be the cause? When can I expect my periods? Are there chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Taking i-pill during the first half of the period cycle results in early periods. The three days of bloody discharge you had was actually a light period which came earlier due to the i-pill. So, now expect your next period around a month after that bleed. No need to worry it is very unlikely that you are pregnant.

| 

I had my early periods on 24th of last month, so as you said I waited for a month and then did a urine test, and the result was negative. Now it is been 38 days since my early periods and I have not got my periods, why?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have understood your issue now. I can understand the anxiety. Taking emergency contraceptives does cause severe hormonal alteration and can cause irregular periods for up to two to three months later on. However, since its been quite sometime now, we can start you on progesterones to induce a period. Before we do that I would request you recheck for pregnancy using the first morning sample of urine. If it is still negative we can start the necessary medicine.

|