Q. My wife's periods got delayed. Is it a side effect of Ferpill F?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on May 25, 2017

We are trying for a baby since one year, and we are under treatment for that. Our consulting doctor has told us to undergo IVF, and we are in that process. From this month we are supposed to start the final lap for IVF, and for that, we met the doctor on the seventeenth day of my wife's menstrual cycle. On that day, the doctor prescribed Ferpill F and Deviry 10 for the next ten days. My wife is done with that course, and her periods was due ten days back, but till date, there is no sign of periods. After doing some random read, I found that Ferpill F is a Clomifene kind of medicine, which needs to be taken on the second or fourth day of the cycle. Is delayed periods a side effect of a wrong dosage, at the wrong time? In the meantime, we tried conceiving naturally till the nineteenth day of her cycle, and in this time we did not do any follicular study. Please let us know your expert opinion.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Ferpill F is a medicine to help the process of ovulation, fertilization as well as the development of the embryo. It is not related to Clomifene, and there is no harm if she has started it in the middle of the cycle or continues it afterward.
  • The point is now she has missed her period. So, get a pregnancy test done. Sometimes, good things occur unexpectedly.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your quick reply. Generally, within every 28th day, my wife gets her periods, but now it is already the 31st day. So, should we wait for another 3 to 4 days before going for a pregnancy test? And I found that Clomifene is an active ingredient of Ferpill on the internet.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• You can wait as there is no harm in delaying few days.
  • However, you reconsider your search, as Ferpill does not contains Clomifene.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for the reply. Today is the sixth day since my wife missed her periods, and we are yet to take the pregnancy test. Today suddenly she is feeling mild pain and cramp at lower abdomen and mild continuous bleeding from the vagina. We are not sure that is it a delayed period or any early sign of pregnancy. Please help us out.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I cannot speculate without the help of the investigation, a urine pregnancy test is essential to differentiate between the two.
  • So, do it as early as possible and let me know the result.

Thank you for replying. Is it necessary to do a pregnancy test with the first urine in the morning or we can check it at any time?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is not essential, but it is better to take the first urine sample.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depot injection does not offer immediate protection and it is advised to maintain abstinence for at least three weeks post-injection before the hormonal balance is readjusted for the cycle. Also, intermenstrual bleeding in form of dark brown blood is a common side ef...  Read Full

What are my options after failed IVF?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old married female. I got married five years back and we have no child. I started my fertility treatment four years ago. At first, I was treated for ectopic pregnancy and my right fallopian tube was removed. Again, I was diagnosed with tuberculosis and was treated for s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As there is a blockage in the fallopian tube, IVF (invitro fertilization - a manual process of fertilization of the egg and the sperm in a laboratory) is the only option. Ideally, the ovum should be healthy in such cases, unless there is an association of PCOS (polycyst...  Read Full