Q. Why do periods get delayed after first time sex?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I had sex for the first time. After that, I did not get my periods yet. I went to a gynecologist. She had taken my blood sample and it was negative. But, still I have not gotten my periods and it has been a week ahead. What could be the reason for my late periods?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As the serum beta hCG levels are less than 3 mIU/mL, the pregnancy is definitely ruled out.

The delay in the menses is mostly due to sex induced stress after the first time when reproductive hormones readjust themselves.

The menses can get delayed even up to two weeks, so just wait for another week and they should arrive. If not, then you can safely opt for a progesterone withdrawal to resume menses.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Had sex using pull-out method and bled a week before my period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18, and I had unprotected sex a few times last month using the pull-out method. I thought that I could not get pregnant with that method. I am stressed that I could be pregnant because I had some bleeding a week before my period. The bleeding was less than usual, but I still needed p...  Read Full »

I have been getting period cramps but have not got periods. What can it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. My period is delayed and I am sexually active. I have not had unprotected sex. The problem is 2 years back I was diagnosed with fibroadenoma . No biopsy was done but doctor told it was probably that. Now when my period got delayed, I started having period cramp ...  Read Full »

Is a period with blood clots a sign of miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I was due for my periods on 8th, but did not get till 16th. So, I went for pregnancy test which came out negative. On 17th, I got my periods with blood clots and crampy stomach pain which was not usual for me. Was it a miscarriage? If yes, what may be the reason?  Read Full »