Q. Why do periods get delayed after first time sex?

I had sex for the first time. After that, I did not get my periods yet. I went to a gynecologist. She had taken my blood sample and it was negative. But, still I have not gotten my periods and it has been a week ahead. What could be the reason for my late periods?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

As the serum beta hCG levels are less than 3 mIU/mL, the pregnancy is definitely ruled out.

The delay in the menses is mostly due to sex induced stress after the first time when reproductive hormones readjust themselves.

The menses can get delayed even up to two weeks, so just wait for another week and they should arrive. If not, then you can safely opt for a progesterone withdrawal to resume menses.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Had sex using pull-out method and bled a week before my period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18, and I had unprotected sex a few times last month using the pull-out method. I thought that I could not get pregnant with that method. I am stressed that I could be pregnant because I had some bleeding a week before my period. The bleeding was less than usual, but I still needed p...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rightly said, withdrawal is not an effective method. As the precum or pre-seminal fluid (the clear fluid that comes out before the semen) is rich in active with healthy sperms, it can be enough for you to get pregnant. I cannot tell you conclusively if that was an im...  Read Full

I have been getting period cramps but have not got periods. What can it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. My period is delayed and I am sexually active. I have not had unprotected sex. The problem is 2 years back I was diagnosed with fibroadenoma . No biopsy was done but doctor told it was probably that. Now when my period got delayed, I started having period cramp ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fibroadenoma is a benign breast tumor but it is hormone dependent. The pain in abdomen you described seems like a premenstrual pain. At times our periods can get delayed due to hormonal imbalance. Stress, change in environment, etc., can change or trigger a hormonal im...  Read Full

I got periods with blood clots. Is it a sign of miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I was due for my periods on 8th, but did not get till 16th. So, I went for pregnancy test which came out negative. On 17th, I got my periods with blood clots and crampy stomach pain which was not usual for me. Was it a miscarriage? If yes, what may be the reason?  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. As per your query, the pregnancy test was negative. So, no need to worry. It is not a miscarriage. To be on a safer side and to confirm that it is not miscarriage, I suggest you to check your ser...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now