Q. How to delay my periods?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2018

My monthly period was due on last week, but the same has delayed. I want to delay my period by around 15 days. I am 38 years old. I am married and have no medical history.

#

• For delaying cycle we use to advice progesterone tablets available in the trade name of Primolut N 5 mg (Norethisterone) twice or three times a day depending upon how prior you have started it.
  • The guideline is, if you start it from day 10 of previous cycle, then twice a day dosing will work. But, if you start it from day 15 onwards, then you may need to take three tablets per day until you want the next cycle. If you start it too close to your next date, then you may not be able to skip it.
  • Now, you have your scheduled cycle last week, but not had it. You are 38 years and I suppose, there is no chance of pregnancy. If not, then the fact is still it is quite late to prevent the cycle as it is due in any upcoming date.
  • Just as a trial, start the above medicine thrice a day from now. If you are lucky enough, you might skip the cycle. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the tablet.
  • Continue the medication as long you want to avoid the cycle, but not for more than three weeks.
  • Lastly, as you have a delayed cycle, I remind you to screen the possibility of pregnancy by doing a pregnancy test. Otherwise, start the medicine now.

Delaying cycle by medicine.

Pregnancy testing.

Primolut N 5 mg thrice a day.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|