Q. What can be done for missed periods with negative pregnancy test?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

I am 18 years old. I had unprotected sex recently, then 10 days later I got my normal period. Now I am 4 days late (usually my cicle is strictly 21 days), took two early pregnancy tests and they are negative. Should I be concerned about pregnancy or other problems?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. Since you had period post your intercourse, then the chances of pregnancy are rare. However in certain studies women have had regular periods during first trimester and they have delivered healthy babies later. So, although the period can be late due to several reasons but still checking for pregnancy is not a bad idea. Please undertake a urine pregnancy test with first urine of the day for accurate result. Do not drink too much fluid prior to your test. Adhere to all guidelines on package.

In case the test comes negative then we can wait for periods without much anxiety and look for other reasons known for delaying periods like stress, hormonal changes, PCOS, etc. Do not worry, I am always there for you.

| 

I just undertook pregnancy test again, with first urine of the morning, just like you said, and it is also negative. All three tests says negative, so, I guess we can rule out pregnancy? It is just so weird because it had never been that late before.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Wonderful, that is a great news. Great relief to learn that and at least the anxiety and fear of pregnancy is not there anymore. So, now you can wait for your periods. Tell me more about your menstrual signs and other details so that I can help you with your menstrual health. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

| 

Well, my cycle is 21 days and period lasts for 5 days. The second and the third day bleeding is really heavy. But between periods I always have some white excreta and I still have it now. I do not think that I faced lots of stress this month and I changed nothing in my eating habits or something like that. But due to heavy period my blood tests are not so good,my HGB is usually low.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

21 days period is fine but not shorter then that. Five days bleeding also is acceptable. But as you are saying it is heavy; can you please explain in terms of how many pads you need to change or if you use menstrual cup, what is the quantity of blood? Now coming to your HGB, please include green leafy vegetables like spinach, etc., in your diet. Stay healthy. The HGB will improve with time.

| 

On second and third day I use tampons and I need to change them every 2 hours and if I use pads, well, they last maybe just for 45-60 minutes. I read online that hCG can be low and that is why pregnancy tests could show negative. Is that true? Even if I took three of the them? And no, I still have not got my period.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

That is a pretty heavy flow if you have to change your tampon/pad so frequently. I will address this seperately for you. Yes, hCG may not be sufficiently high if the test is done in advance and thus the test result may be false negative. So, you are 7 days late for periods now, any signs of periods like cramps, etc?

| 
Is it a common case with that hCG thing?
No, there’s no sign of them..

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# yes, HCG thing is common. ok so u have no signs as yet for periods. however 7 days delay is not a serious unless it is connected to unwanted or unplanned pregnancy. let's wait for a week may be else I shall prescribe medicines for periods.

but I hope you will understand that I don't want to prescribe a medicine straight away to prevent any side effects and also to prevent any future dependency on pills for periods

|