Q. I am getting hallucinations after taking Mirtazapine. Is it normal?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am on Mirtazapine for the past four months, treating episodical depression and panic attacks. Overall it was going good but yesterday I have experienced visual hallucinations for the first time. I will see my doctor in half a month only. Should I be worried?

#

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. Visual hallucinations are due to organic brain lesion (epilepsy) or any substance abuse (alcohol or recreational drug). If it is just once in while then it is not problematic but if it is an increase in the frequency and disturbing your functional life than it needs to be addressed. It is not due to Mirtazapine. Sometimes, it may happen when you are going to sleep or when you wake up from sleep. It is due to mental illness. Just keep a record of your hallucinations details like duration, time of the episode, frequency, etc. All those details will help your psychiatrist during follow up visit for evaluation. At present, you do not need to worry.

|