Q. I have abscess at the back of the top molar undrained for the past 2 years. Will antibiotics help?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2020

I have an abscess in my gum for almost two years because I lost my back top molar and it progressed from there. I do not have dental insurance, so I have never gotten it drained or my missing tooth closed. I have taken antibiotics for this abscess twice now when it flares up, but now it is having a flare-up again and I cannot afford to go to the dentist. I have a bottle of Amoxicillin from a different injury that I have never used. Are there any negative effects any antibiotics could have on this abscess if it is not the same antibiotic I have used before for it?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

I went through your query. I am sorry for your inconvenience it is too hard to be in such condtions for a long time. But do not worry, as an expert I would recommend you to upload an image of the area. I strongly needed that to comment on any of it.

Yes, there might be any root stump left behind from the missing molar tooth, leading to infection and abscess so just taking medications will not help. If the abscess is not drained, medicines can solidify the abscess to form antibioma what will be a complication as needed surgical assistance.

You can take Betadine gargle in lukewarm water two or three times a day, capsule Amoxicillin 500 mg one capsule thrice daily for five days, tablet Metrogyl ER one tablet BD for five days, Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) one tablet twice daily for five days, capsule Pan D (Pantoprazole) before meal for five days.

Periapical abscess due to retained root.

Drainage.

| 

I have been feeling light-headed, dizzy with blocked ear. Could failed RCT cause this?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a failed root canal with an abscess. I have been feeling light-headed, dizzy with a blocked ear. I had MRI and blood tests to rule out other issues, and they are clear. Can the abscess cause these issues? If so, how long for lightheadedness to go once the tooth is removed?  Read Full »

There is a hole in tooth with pain and swelling. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 45 years old. She got a hole in teeth and she is complaining of a toothache for three days and from yesterday, she developed swelling on the right half of the face. Is this any sort of emergency?  Read Full »

All About Gum Abscess - Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and Prevention

Article Overview: Pus-filled pockets that form in the gums (gingiva) surrounding the tooth is called gum abscess. To know more about this, read the article. Read Article

Causes Any abscess arising in the region of the gum can be due to either of the three causes: Gingival abscess: This is the one that remains confined to your gum only and does not involve the deeper structures. Periodontal abscess: This is the one that is due to a deeper problem and involve...  Read Article