Q. Is an implant really necessary after extraction of second molar?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

My second molar in the left side of upper jaw was extracted two months back. I thought of placing an implant. So, bone grafting was done. Now, I got few opinions that implant is not required in that region. Are there any future implications due to gap being there like displacement of adjacent teeth, etc.?

#

Because you have done a bone graft, that means there would have been bone loss. The prognosis of the tooth will be poor after implant in that region.

If your adjacent teeth are not having or showing any bone loss, you may opt for a fixed partial denture (bridge).

Yes, there are chances of tooth displacement or tooth migration in this region. If the implant is not possible because of underlying bone resorption or too much vertical or horizontal bone loss, you must not opt for a bridge too.

In case you have any IOPAR, X-Ray or OPG you can upload here for proper treatment plan and prognosis.

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have attached the file.

#

I have gone through the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I do not see any problem after interpreting your radiograph. You can wait for some time till the bone is properly mineralized.

Meanwhile, you can use a space maintainer, it is a removable partial denture. Space maintainer can prevent any sort of tilting or space closure.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|