Q. Is it possible to replace sensitive dental bridge with an implant?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I had a tooth extraction in the past to replace that I had opted for a bridge. As a result, the tooth beside my missing tooth was drilled to some extent. After having that just in a span of one month a part of the bridge is chipped out. I could not chew hard food from that canine and also if I eat some sweet that bridge part gives me sensitivity and there is also one thing which I feel is the side of my face (right profile) where my bridge is present is saggy. There have been so many problems because of the bridge. Now when I look back I wish I had opted for the inbuilt one.

So my question is, Is it possible to replace the bridge by an inbuilt? I am wondering how would the side teeth which have been carved be fixed? Please let me know.

#

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Yes, it is possible to replace your faulty bridge with an inbuilt type of replacement (Implants). The nearby tooth which was reduced for support needs root canal treatment. During bridge replacement, the nearby tooth is reduced or shaped to some extent for supporting the missing tooth crown. While shaping, most of the tooth enamel goes away and this causes tooth sensitivity.

Ideally, a root canal treatment should be done prior to bridge placement to avoid such sensitivity issues. Underlying bone availability and quality should be studied prior to implant placement to avoid sagging issues. You will require a full mouth x-ray (OPG) for this. Please visit an Implantologist with your x-ray and get to know which implant type best suits your bone quality.

|