Q. A 68-year-old diabetic woman lost most of her teeth. Is dental implant suggested for her age?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain
Published on Dec 01, 2019

My mother is 68 years old. She lost most of her teeth. Our doctor suggested full mouth dental implants. My mother has diabetes, and she is worried about the surgery and pain. I would like to know if she can go ahead with full mouth dental implants at this age? Will her diabetes create any issue?

I have listed the last three blood sugar levels taken two months before.

Fasting 73.8 mg/dL, after meals 124.5 mg/dL.

Fasting 278.9mg/dL, after meals 206.2 mg/dL.

Fasting 175.5mg/dL, after meals 109.2 mg/dL.

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

One can go with full mouth case with dental implants when the underlying bone conditions are ideal, which means patient's boney ridge should have adequate height and width. As per the age, there should not be any bony resorption. Bone conditions are important for implant stability.

Systemic conditions like blood pressure and blood sugar levels should be under normal levels. After going through your given reports, patient's blood sugar levels are not constantly under control. So, need to check HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin) and follow up with diabetologist for strict diabetes control.

Blood sugar level is important for the proper healing of bone during the process of implant placement. It will be beneficial if you upload image of an OPG (orthopantomogram), or give further details about the bone condition for proper treatment planning and management.

Why is my dental implant getting reinfected often?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tooth removed and a dental implant done five months ago. About three months ago it got infected. I went to my dentist, who cleaned out the infection and prescribed antibiotics. The infection did not go away, so I was prescribed antibiotics two more times. Once again, the infe...  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask an Orthodontist Now