Q. I had my braces off before a month. Is it necessary to wear retainer to maintain alignment?

Dr. Sandeep Menon

I am just wondering if retainers can be used to realign teeth? I have had braces off for a month and have worn mine religiously but it feels like my teeth are relapsing a little bit despite this. Is this possible? Namely, my teeth before braces were not aligned properly, had spaces, and my ortho had trouble aligning them, as they are straight but going across diagonally, but we worked on this and got it better.

When my braces came off, they felt straight, I was really happy. Now, it seems like my teeth are going diagonally and not aligned anymore and is causing anxiety. I want my teeth to come straight down and not be slanted. Also, can my two front teeth be improved by filing? I have already visited my ortho once to have my essix fixed, and my Hawley's was severely tightened during that time, so I feel like contacting them just a couple of weeks later again.

#

Once the braces are removed, you have to wear the retainers for at least eight months. You have to wear them literally all the time. Else there are high chances for relapse. And yes your front teeth can be filled using tooth colored composite restoration. You just have to visit the dentist every 30- 45 days to lightly activate the retainer. Please be careful regarding this. If the teeth relapse beyond an extent, then you probably will have to restart the treatment all over again.

| 

Invisible Aligners for a Perfect Smile

Article Overview: Custom made invisible aligners are orthodontic devices that are a transparent plastic form of dental braces used to adjust or move the teeth, which encourages even adults to have a "Perfect Smile." Read Article

Everyone's dream is to have a great smile, but they get stuck where to start from. Many people are experiencing success using clear orthodontic devices called "Aligners." Orthodontic braces encourage teeth to move using brackets connected with wires. Aligners are a series of custom-made tight fitt...  Read Article

I have large buck teeth and triangular gap between rows. Do I need braces?

Query: Hello doctor, So, I have an overbite and I would probably say it is pretty bad. My teeth are not that bad, but I do have large buck teeth. My two front teeth are angled on the outsides and that creates a triangle shape gap in between my top and bottom teeth. I was wondering with the information p...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »