Q. What to do if I feel my retainer is tighter than usual?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 03, 2021

I have completed wearing braces and now, I am wearing my retainer. It has been a year now or two since I started wearing them. My orthodontist told me to wear my retainer once every two days. What can I do if my retainer seems to be tighter than usual? Do I need to wear it continuously for a couple of days? Can I use it on alternative days?

#

A tight retainer is advised when the tooth shows shifting. Please mention whether your retainer got activated recently by your dentist. You must wear your retainer as long as possible throughout the day. I suggest you try to eat with your retainer. It causes discomfort but you try to use it. Continue wearing a retainer as long as possible except while going for any family occasion or function or outing. Try wearing and eating with it as long as possible until it loses its tightness. It takes a month or two. Once it becomes fit correctly or a bit lose, then you can use it on alternative days. You can use an orthodontic toothbrush. You can use Colgate visible white toothpaste or Himalaya sparkling white toothpaste. Use Hiora K mouth wash. Brush twice daily. Avoid taking sticky or sweet foods. Rinse your mouth whenever you eat. Upload an image of the removable retainer to see whether your retainer is in good condition.

|