Q. Will my teeth move a lot if I do not wear retainers for a week?

Dr. Asma Parveen
Published on Mar 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I have stupidly just flushed my retainers down the toilet. I had braces removed eight years back and have been wearing them religiously every night since. Unfortunately, there is a storm here. So, all the dental practices are closed. I am worried that my teeth will move before I get an appointment next week. I have a mold of my top and bottom teeth from when I first got my braces removed but I had to change my retainers after getting new crowns and a porcelain veneer in my two front teeth. So, the new ones I flushed down the toilet are different but I would say only slightly. Is there a benefit of wearing these molds until I can get a replacement retainer?

#

It is quite unfortunate that you flushed your retainers and I completely understand your concern regarding the relapse of your orthodontic treatment in the absence of retainers. Now, coming to your question regarding the old retainer, you cannot wear the old retainer as it is not going to help you since a minor change in dentistry means a lot.

But, do not worry. Only a week of not wearing the retainers would not make much of a difference since you have been wearing them for quite a long time. My advice to you would be to wait for your appointment and get the retainers.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

The part of the tooth usually inside the gum, is visible out. Is it normal during orthodontic treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, My son has been having orthodontic treatment (upper and lower braces) for approximately 2.5 years. He is almost 16 years old now. For the last year, at least one of his bottom incisors has been lifting up and has caused a bump, and a part of the tooth that is usually below the gum line is...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The bump that you see is the root portion of the tooth that is at a greater angle in relation to other teeth. Along with that, the gums will be inflamed and slightly receded. It is common to see this during treatment. It happens when teeth are irregularly placed, to beg...  Read Full

My teeth are crooked after using retainers only at night. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hello doctor, One of my teeth started moving backward as soon as I started wearing my retainer just at night. It got painful to put the retainer back in, and so I stopped wearing it. I am terrified of orthodontists and dentists, and so did not let my orthodontist know. Now, two of my teeth has move...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To correct the relapse of orthodontic treatment, there are two options. It depends on how much tooth movement is required. If it is one or two teeth requiring 1 mm or less tooth movement, an active retainer can be given. If it is more teeth or a greater amount of...  Read Full

One of my middle tooth is out of line from the rest of the teeth. Should I consult an orthodontist?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my braces off a few days ago, and I have been wearing my top retainer faithfully. I got a fixed retainer on the bottom front teeth, but they are only glued on by the two ends, not on each tooth. I noticed recently that one of the middle tooth is out of line from the rest, bu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you described the lower retainer is fixed to only two teeth, the other teeth are free to move forward or rotate. It is common in such cases that the teeth do tend to move back to their previous positions. I would recommend you make an appointment with the orthodonti...  Read Full

Ask an Orthodontist Now