Q. I seem to be suffering from some kind of grounding disorder. What is it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I have been suffering from some kind of derealization or something for the past five years. It seems to be related to a bunch of vitamins I took to treat autism. Anyway, I seem to be suffering from some kind of grounding disorder that has a lot to do with the kinds of principles that Lawrence W. Barsalou is always writing about. Also, I really miss being an OCPD control freak who likes to do everything the old fashion way and has the entire future planned out to the tiniest detail. I felt a lot more productive that way. I think the best way to treat all this is with medication and cognitive behavioral therapy. Currently, I am having Adderall and Prozac.

#

I can understand your feelings of detachment.

• From the available history, I think you are suffering from some type of dissociative disorder. I have considered your neurological checkup is normal.
  • Your history suggests that you have depersonalization disorder which is marked by a feeling of detachment or distance from one's own experience, body or self.
  • These feelings of depersonalization are recurrent. Of the dissociative disorders, depersonalization is the one most easily identified with by the general public; one can easily relate to feeling as they in a dream, or being spaced out.
  • An individual with depersonalization disorder has this experience so frequently and so severely that it interrupts his or her functioning and experience. A person's experience with depersonalization can be so severe that he or she believes the external world is unreal or distorted.
  • If you feel you are in the same situation, discuss with your psychiatrist. It can be treated for sure and you can come out from this problem completely.

Treatment:

• Mostly dissociative disorders are triggered as a response to trauma or abuse.
  • Treatment for individuals with such a disorder is psychotherapy mostly. However, a combination of psychopharmacological and psychosocial treatment is often used.
  • Many of the symptoms of dissociative disorders occur with other disorders, such as anxiety and depression and can be controlled by same drugs used to treat those disorders.
  • You might benefit from antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|