Q. Even though I am on birth control injections, am I still ovulating?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2022

I am on Depo birth control injection, and I was prescribed Medroxyprogesterone to induce my periods. Does not that mean my body is ovulating even though I am on birth control?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

No, you are not ovulating. Let me explain.

The progesterone hormone level is very high when on Depo birth control injection. This will suppress the normal rise in hormones, due to which your follicles will not develop. It results in no ovulation. The inner lining of the uterus is thinned out so that you do not get periods.

But when you take the sudden dose of Medroxyprogesterone, the inner lining of the uterus (endometrium) alone is increased. It does not act on the ovary. When you top the Medroxyprogesterone pills, you get withdrawal bleeding. Suppression of the ovaries is on for much longer, so you do not ovulate when on Depo, and it is an excellent contraceptive.

Hope I have clarified your query. All the best.

|