Q. How to motivate myself?

Dr. Sathya Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2021

I worry too much and lack motivation for doing anything.

#

• Worrying too much and lack of motivation are commonly reported problems. Depending upon the exact cause, different solutions can be provided.
  • The good news is that this can be handled. Before I advise you I need to know if this is a recent phenomenon.
  • Are you feeling this way for the last few months or so? Was this after some major life event? Is your self-esteem and self-confidence also low?
  • Do you feel and think negative in general? If the answers to most of these questions are yes, then you are probably heading towards a depressive episode.
  • Again, I would like to remind you that it can be easily treated.
  • Assuming that you have no family history of bipolar disorder or yourself do not suffer from any other psychiatric illness or medical illness, you will improve very well with medicines such as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Escitalopram and Sertraline.
  • Since these are medicines, they will need to be started under the supervision of a psychiatrist. In the meantime, you can get a hemogram and serum TSH levels (thyroid-stimulating hormone) done to rule out any medical causes for your problems.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I do not know when exactly started worrying too much, but it has happened to me since long time. It may be for about five to six years. Motivation problem is for the last one year. But, it did not happen after any event. Yes, my confidence is also low. Also, I do have negative thinking and it has always been a problem. After any incident, I used to think that could be worse.

#

• I suggest you capsule Prodep 20 mg (Fluoxetine), one capsule after breakfast for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent and alter the dose after five days.
  • Continue taking it for a month, but do not stop after that until you have consulted again. In two to three weeks time you will feel much better.
  • As the depression begins to lift, there may be an initial apparent worsening and anxiety. There is nothing to worry; it is only a sign that things are about to improve.
  • If you have sleep problems, then tablet Lonazep 0.25 mg (Clonazepam) one tablet at night daily will be helpful.
  • Get a serum TSH and hemogram done to make sure that there are no other medical problems. There is absolutely nothing to worry and soon you are going to get better.

Biological and stress.

Serum TSH and complete hemogram.

Hypothyroidism to be ruled out.

Double depression.

Give more time for hobbies and friends.

Revert back after a month to a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|