Q. I am facing depression and anxiety attacks after break up with my best friend. How to manage it?

Dr. Vandana Patidar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I recently had a bad break up with someone who was formally my best friend, and she feels like now we cannot even go back to where we were before as good friends. But we still talked for a while after it, but now we have not been talking, and I have been feeling depressed and having constant anxiety attacks after the past couple of weeks.

Do you have a question on Depression or Relationship Breakup?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Vandana Patidar

MBBS., M.D.PSYCHIATRY
Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine

You are undergoing some adjustment problems. When we had a bad experience or event, then our body and mind take time to adjust to the new situation. It is common to have some emotional outburst and anxiety during this time. But if your friend does not want this relationship to continue, then it is best to break it rather than and being in talking terms.

Communicating with her will increase your expectations, and you will have a desire to get her back in your life someday that will increase your confusion and trauma in the long run. So rather than confusing yourself, it is better to have a clear one-sided answer. Being friends with her will be more painful for you than her so move on.

Are crying without reason, feeling useless and demotivated related to depression?
Query: Hello doctor, Do I have depression? I need to know because I think it will be a whole lot easier if I know and admit it myself. Last night I was crying without reason, it has been like this for five years now. I can go on not going out of my room for a week without eating and every time I worry too...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aneel Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression can be normal and can be a disease. Depression is diagnosed when a person has low or depressed mood for most of the day every day at least two weeks, lack of interest and pleasure in daily activities, other symptoms are sleep disturbances, appetite changes, p...  Read Full >>

Postpartum Depression
Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress ...  Read Article >>
Due to constant rejection, I have lost my sex drive. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, My boyfriend and I have been together for 11 months. The honeymoon phase did not last long and on the end anyway. I noticed that within two to three months our sex life really slowed down. At first it did not bother me because he is more of a passive or shy personality. So, I thought I wo...  Read Full >>
Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having sex in a long-term relationship is a sign of commitment. For some, sex might not be the only way to show the love. The very fact that he is affectionate to you shows that he loves you. Sexual phase is not the same every time. It is like a see-saw. I advise you to...  Read Full >>

Ask a Doctor Now