Q. I am facing depression and anxiety attacks after break up with my best friend. How to manage it?

Dr. Vandana Patidar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I recently had a bad break up with someone who was formally my best friend, and she feels like now we cannot even go back to where we were before as good friends. But we still talked for a while after it, but now we have not been talking, and I have been feeling depressed and having constant anxiety attacks after the past couple of weeks.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

You are undergoing some adjustment problems. When we had a bad experience or event, then our body and mind take time to adjust to the new situation. It is common to have some emotional outburst and anxiety during this time. But if your friend does not want this relationship to continue, then it is best to break it rather than and being in talking terms.

Communicating with her will increase your expectations, and you will have a desire to get her back in your life someday that will increase your confusion and trauma in the long run. So rather than confusing yourself, it is better to have a clear one-sided answer. Being friends with her will be more painful for you than her so move on.

| 

I am depressed for past two years and getting suicidal thoughts. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old female. I am depressed for the past two years and unable to forget my fiance who recently got married eight months back but still, I am suffering from the memories. I am severely depressed, do not sleep. I am getting suicidal thoughts for my rejection and was taking ...  Read Full »

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article