Q. I cannot concentrate or study because of my relationship with my mother. Please help.

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am an 18-year-old girl. I feel that I do not have any relation with anyone, so I think what the use of this life is. I do not want to study. I cannot concentrate on anything. I want to run somewhere where no one lives, where no one knows me because my mother got divorced when I was five years old, and even my mother hates me for no reason. She keeps saying that they got clashes only after I was born. She does not like me talking to or hugging her. She avoids it, but I still give her respect because she is my mother. I feel so depressed because my mother never keeps my secrets to herself. She tells it to everyone. So I stopped trusting her and stopped telling my secrets to her. I feel like I am not her child, and that is why she hates me this much. And last year, I came into a relationship with a person whom I trusted completely. Please help.

#

I can understand your situation. You may have a major depressive disorder. There is non-pharmacological management for your depression, and you should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you.

1. You should do exercises daily for 30 to 45 minutes or atleast go for a walk.
  2. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Sit in a comfortable position and concentrate on your normal breathing, do not force yourself to stop your thoughts. Just let it be.
  3. You should eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods.
  4. You must drink enough water.
  5. You should spend quality time with friends daily.
  6. It would help if you spent time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.
  7. You should sleep atleast seven to eight hours daily.
  8. You must avoid tobacco or alcohol, or any substance abuse.

Live your life, do not spend it. Be bold and confident.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, you need to start medications for a short duration. I hope that you got your answer. Please, let me know if you want some help. Thank you.

|