Q. My father is depressed and attempted sucide twice. How to help him to manage his thoughts?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Oct 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2019

I am writing on behalf of my father. Two years back, my dad was terminated from the job and was depressed. Suddenly one day, he started doing some weird stuff just like as he was possessed by the devil. He tried to commit suicide and jumped from a building, but luckily he survived and we took him to a doctor. He prescribed some medicines, and he became alright, but after six months, he started doing the same thing. It has been two years and now he seems to be stable, but he does not go out and always stays at home.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

From your description, it looks like your father had probably developed stress-induced depression and psychotic features after losing his job. I can understand that it would be tough for your father and the whole family.

It is positive that he is stable now. But he will need further support to help him function again. You mentioned that he does not go out and always stay at home. It could be due to several reasons like anxiety, residual depression, negative symptoms, and ongoing stressful feelings related to losing his job and social stature.

It is advisable to get him reviewed by a psychiatrist and consider counseling and psychological support. It will help to gradually regain his confidence and function better. Gently encourage him to go out for walks during the early morning or later in the evening. It will be better if someone accompanies him. Also, try yoga, which can be beneficial.

An Insight into Mental Health

Article Overview: There is an urgent need in many countries to increase the awareness regarding mental health. The most important task now is to make people understand the concept of mental health correctly and learn how to deal with it and get better. Read Article

Dr. Ashish Khandelwal

A 23-year-old boy, working at a private institution had gradually reduced his interactions with family and friends. He started becoming irregular at work. He used to lie down in his room during the day and not talk to anybody. One day, he was found hanging from his ceiling fan. There was a 20-year-...  Read Article

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. There are many causes for weight loss. Weight loss can be due to depression. Even any chronic infection in body can cause weight loss. If you are not taking proper diet due to gastric problem, then this might also the reason for your w...  Read Full

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article