Q. My sense of taste and smell got diminished completely after taking medicine for depression. Why?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2021

My psychiatrist advised me to take Bupropion 300 mg XL for depression. I took it for six days. On the sixth day, my sense of smell and sense of taste got disappeared completely. It has been a week since I took my last tablet and I cannot see any signs of improvement.

#

You need to take an immediate dose of corticosteroids like Diprofos injection of single ampule and vitamin B complex vitamins once every three days. Your sensation of smell will not get restored completely but you can have it again.

What is the reason? Why do I have this issue? I can smell strong smells especially if I bring the source close to my nose. Is this a good sign? Am I getting recovered? When I was taking medication, I had a burning sensation when I was breathing through my nose.

#

This happens due to a side effect of anti-depressant drug. Also, depression itself can deteriorate some senses. You are able to smell strongly when you have the source near to your nose. It is an excellent symptom. It means that your olfactory nerves are not affected completely and it can recover back soon.

Thank you for guiding me.

#

You can have a follow-up at any time.

|