Q. My sense of taste and smell got diminished completely after taking medicine for depression. Why?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

My psychiatrist prescribed me Bupropion 300mg XL for depression. I took it for six days. On the 6th day, my sense of smell greatly diminished, and my sense of taste disappeared completely. It has been almost a week since I last took the medication, and there have not been any signs of improvement.

#

you need an immediate dose of corticosteroids like Diprofos injection just a single ampule and Vitamin b complex injection once every 3 days. your smell sensation will not be completely restored but at least you can smell again.

Okay, I have a few questions.

1. Do you know why this happened?

2. I can smell strong smells, especially if I bring the source close to my nose. Is this a good sign? Will this make recovery likely?

3. Where can I get this treatment? Will I be able to get it at urgent care?

One thing I noticed, was that while I was taking the medication, I had a burning sensation when breathing through my nose.

#

this happened mostly as a side effect of the anti depressant drug as the burning sensation too. also the depression itself can deteriorate some senses. the point number two is an excellent symptom. it means that the olfactory nerves didnot completely distroied and it can recover quickly. this treatment is available at pharmacies. I donot know if you can find it in the urgent care or not.

Okay thank you very much

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Can I stop taking Escitalopram for depression gradually, as it has been two years?

Query: Hello Doctor Surabhi, I am taking Escitalopram for 2 years now, as I developed anxiety and feelings of beeing generally worried. I do feel alright. I am a male and 41 years old. My history had depressions (mild) and using Setraline from the last 10 to 7 years, then I stopped and 2 years ago the ab...  Read Full »

My period is late by six days. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 25 year old female. My periods were due on the 17th and today is the 23rd. I have still not got my periods. I have a very weird taste in my mouth. I have mood swings. I am passing urine frequently. My poo is very liquid. All this is happening with me from the past three days....  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»