iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)depressionMy sense of smell and taste disappeared after taking medicine for depression. Please help.

My sense of taste and smell got diminished completely after taking medicine for depression. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At December 1, 2020
Reviewed AtAugust 24, 2023

Patient's Query

My psychiatrist advised me to take Bupropion 300 mg XL for depression. I took it for six days. On the sixth day, my sense of smell and sense of taste got disappeared completely. It has been a week since I took my last tablet and I cannot see any signs of improvement.

You need to take an immediate dose of corticosteroids like Diprofos injection of single ampule and vitamin B complex vitamins once every three days. Your sensation of smell will not get restored completely but you can have it again.

Patient's Query

What is the reason? Why do I have this issue? I can smell strong smells especially if I bring the source close to my nose. Is this a good sign? Am I getting recovered? When I was taking medication, I had a burning sensation when I was breathing through my nose.

This happens due to a side effect of anti-depressant drug. Also, depression itself can deteriorate some senses. You are able to smell strongly when you have the source near to your nose. It is an excellent symptom. It means that your olfactory nerves are not affected completely and it can recover back soon.

Patient's Query

Thank you for guiding me.

You can have a follow-up at any time.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy