Q. What makes me getting suicidal thoughts and avoid marriage?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

I do not know what disease I am suffering from but it is killing me deep down. I do not want to get married, my parents are forcing me. Please help. It is going on from past 3 to 4 months. At times, I feel like going away from the house or to kill myself but then I see towards my family and the idea of dying gets ruled out. I was suffering from mild depression but my parents do not know about it.

#

Let us summarize your complaints, thoughts of running away from the current situation, occasional suicidal ideas, avoidance of marriage. Marriage is a cause of joy but it is a stress in itself. So, maybe you are trying to avoid further stress because you are overwhelmed with the stress of your current life. Besides, medical education is tremendously stressful and enough to cause depression in the vulnerable.

Besides, you give a history of mild depression in the past. If you are having suicidal thoughts, even occasionally, it is a marker of severe depression and needs treatment by a psychiatrist. Other symptoms of depression include sadness, loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities, change in sleep, appetite, weight.

Anxiety, guilt feelings, pessimistic thoughts, if you feel that you also have these symptoms, then it is likely to be a major depressive disorder. It can be treated with antidepressant medicines like Escitalopram or with counseling, psychotherapy with a psychologist. If you do not have these symptoms, then we will have to search for other causes of your current complaints. Send follow up to this query if you have any other symptoms. Take care. Consult a psychiatrist privately for more help, information, and guidance about depression and its treatment.

| 

My daughter is an introvert with suicidal thoughts. How to help her?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a daughter who is 19 years old. Her behavior is different now when compared to her childhood days. She had been an introvert. She is too emotional and over thinks a lot. From her childhood, she is having suicidal thoughts. She is suffering from depression for the past four years. ...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Can skipping Lexapro tablets cause suicidal thoughts?

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken antidepressants, in particular, Lexapro 20/10 mg for about five years for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Unfortunately, I had stopped taking the anti-depressants cold turkey for about a month and a half due to negligence on my part. During the month and a half, I only expe...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»