Q. What makes me getting suicidal thoughts and avoid marriage?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

I do not know what disease I am suffering from but it is killing me deep down. I do not want to get married, my parents are forcing me. Please help. It is going on from past 3 to 4 months. At times, I feel like going away from the house or to kill myself but then I see towards my family and the idea of dying gets ruled out. I was suffering from mild depression but my parents do not know about it.

#

Let us summarize your complaints, thoughts of running away from the current situation, occasional suicidal ideas, avoidance of marriage. Marriage is a cause of joy but it is a stress in itself. So, maybe you are trying to avoid further stress because you are overwhelmed with the stress of your current life. Besides, medical education is tremendously stressful and enough to cause depression in the vulnerable.

Besides, you give a history of mild depression in the past. If you are having suicidal thoughts, even occasionally, it is a marker of severe depression and needs treatment by a psychiatrist. Other symptoms of depression include sadness, loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities, change in sleep, appetite, weight.

Anxiety, guilt feelings, pessimistic thoughts, if you feel that you also have these symptoms, then it is likely to be a major depressive disorder. It can be treated with antidepressant medicines like Escitalopram or with counseling, psychotherapy with a psychologist. If you do not have these symptoms, then we will have to search for other causes of your current complaints. Send follow up to this query if you have any other symptoms. Take care. Consult a psychiatrist privately for more help, information, and guidance about depression and its treatment.

|