Q. Do you suggest surgery for DNS?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Feb 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I have allergic rhinitis problem for the last two years. I have taken ayurveda and homeopathic treatment. It has improved, but not completely. I have DNS. Do I need surgery?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• DNS (deviated nasal septum) and allergies are two different things. Only if you have symptoms of nose block and headache, then surgery for DNS will be helpful.
  • For allergic rhinitis, you should start nasal spray having decongestant and steroid combination, and that will help you.
  • Also, there are a few tests, which will help you to know about your allergies. But, they are not absolute confirmatory tests.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

Thank you for the quick reply. One more thing I forgot to mention is that I am getting mucus in my throat if I eat anything. It is more after having lunch and dinner. In the morning, my nose has mucus.I have attached the scanned PNS report. Is this due to DNS or allergic rhinitis?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• If you have mucus in your throat, which is trickling down from your sinuses, then it is because of sinus and nose infection.
  • You have mild sinusitis, which can go with the use of the spray as I mentioned before.
  • I would suggest you the following treatment.  Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.
  1. Antibiotics preferably Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 1 g twice daily for a week, antacid for a week and anti-inflammatory enzymes twice daily for five days.
  2. A combination of a spray having steroid and decongestant twice daily on both nostrils for two weeks and then only once for another two weeks.
  3. Regular steam inhalation would help to cure infection as well as allergy which is leading to sinusitis.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of these attacks start as a viral infection and then become complicated by bacterial infection. These attacks are hard to be prevented completely but the use of seasonal influenza vaccines are helpful and can decrease the number of the attacks. Flu vaccines are tak...  Read Full

Why do I have headache, cold, and running nose?

Query: Hi doctor, From yesterday I have a headache, cold, and running nose. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of acute upper respiratory tract infection. It can be a viral infection too. Symptomatic management is done with decongestant like Levocetirizine or Phenylephrine. Vitamin C is having antioxidant property so it can be prescribed as lozenges....  Read Full

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have rhinitis as per history. I suggest you taking Levocetirizine 5 mg OD for five days which is decongestant. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg BD for five days. If fever is also there, then take Paracetamol 500 mg SOS. You can take steam inhalation of warm wa...  Read Full