Q. Does cocaine abuse cause nasal deviation?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Aug 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I recently got a septoplasty and my doctor said that I had a deviated septum. The reason for my blockage and congestion was my septum, which was messed up and misaligned. I did, however abuse cocaine four years ago and felt that I caused some erosion. Ever since then my sinus infections increased. I was also experiencing blockage and breathing issues, which was worsening over time. My doctor said that my septum problem was either congenital or I got hit with something. I am wondering if I actually realigned my septum due to my insufflations of cocaine or my condition was worsening over time. Does cocaine place the nose off center? Will it cause breathing issues? Please explain.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Cocaine does not cause deviation or realignment of the septum, but it can cause septal perforation.
  • You will get the feeling of nose block even though it is not and also mucociliary disturbances that is secretions get accumulated in the nose and because of which patient complains of nasal blockage.
  • It can also cause blockage of the sinuses and sinusitis.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What can be done for blocked nose due to allergy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a blocked nose. I have consulted a doctor and he told I am suffering from allergy and it is incurable. I am worried. Please guide me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concern. A blocked nose can be from an infection of upper respiratory tract also. If you have a fever and throat pain along with the blocked nose, then it is due to some infection. Allergy also c...  Read Full

Can cocaine use in men prior to impregnation cause birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your dilemma, but be assured a gap of seven to eight weeks is pretty long enough for the drug to be out of our system and cause any damage to your baby. The half life of cocaine is 15 to 50 hours in urine. It is completely excreted out of the system in less t...  Read Full

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of these attacks start as a viral infection and then become complicated by bacterial infection. These attacks are hard to be prevented completely but the use of seasonal influenza vaccines are helpful and can decrease the number of the attacks. Flu vaccines are tak...  Read Full