Q. I have a nasal obstruction and my nose is curved on the inside. What should I do?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2021

I have a blocked nose. Sometimes, it remains blocked on the left side and sometimes, it remains blocked on the right side. I consulted a doctor and he told me that I have nasal obstruction and my nose remains curved inside and my adenoid is also blocked. But after that, he told me that my adenoid will subside when I become 16 years old. But I never talked about solving the curved nose. What to do?

#

There are two aspects here that can be responsible for the nasal obstruction that you are facing. Normally one side of the nasal cavity remains more congested than the other and works more to humidify the air we breathe. People having a fairly straight nasal septum do not appreciate this normal nasal cycle that is present in all of us. The perception of nasal congestion to one side happens when there is septal deviation reducing the net air patency and cross-sectional area in that particular side.

The other aspect is a hypertrophied adenoid which is present in your nasopharyngeal region often obstructs the entire airway causing mouth breathing and snoring in many patients. You can consider the following treatment schedule. Use Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate with Azelastine) or its equivalent two puffs on both the nostrils two times a day for six weeks. Use Otrivin nasal drops (Oxymetazoline hydrochloride) three drops 3 times a day for a week. Make sure that you maintain a gap of atleast an hour between nasal spray and nasal drops. Avoid exposure to any dust or irritative substance from entering into the nasal cavity thereby preventing nasal inflammation and its symptoms.

In my opinion, adenoids that have increased in size usually regress by the age of 10 or 11 and after that usually, the skull development is not as much to regress the size of the adenoids when you are having a nasal allergy. Most of the cases require surgery to get rid of the adenoids as just 10 to 20 percent happen to regress in size after the age of 11. Septal deviation correction is meant only when the deviation is more than grade 2 and producing severe nasal obstruction, sinusitis, and other related issues. Usually, we perform both the surgeries together in one go and the results are phenomenal as far as the airway patency is concerned. I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to know more, kindly do let us know and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Warm regards.

|