Q. I have a nasal obstruction and my nose is curved on the inside. What should I do?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 05, 2020

I have a blocked nose, but sometimes the left side will be blocked and sometimes the right. I went to a doctor, he said that I have a nasal obstruction and that my nose is curved on the inside, and my adenoid is also blocked, but then he said the adenoid will gone when I'm 16.(I'm currently 15) But he never talked about solving the curved nose, so what do you think I should do?

#

Hi!

There are 2 aspects here which could be responsible for the nasal obstruction that your facing.

Normally one side of the nasal cavity is more congested than the other and works more to humidify the air we breathe. People having a fairly straight nasal septum dont appreciate this normal nasal cycle that is present in all of us. The perception of nasal congestion to one side happens when there is septal deviation reducing the net air patency and cross sectional area in that particular side.

The other aspect is a hyertrophied adenoid which is present in your nasopharyngeal region and often obstructs the entire airway causing mouth breathing and snoring in many patients. You can consider the following treatment schedule

Duonase nasal spray (or its equivalent) 2 puffs both the nostrils two times a day for 6 weeks.Otrivin nasal drops 3 drops 3 time's a day for 1 week.Make sure you maintain a gapnof atleast 1 hr between the nasal spray and nasal drops.Avoid exposure to any dust or irritative substamce from entering into the nasal cavity thereby preventing nasal inflammation and its symptoms.

In my opinion adenoids which have increased on size usually regress by the age of 10 or 11 and after that usually the skull development isnt as much to regress the size of the adenoids if you are having nasal allergy as well. Most cases i have seen till date required a surgery to get rid of the adenoids as just 10 to 20 percent happen to regress in size after the age of 11.

Septal deviation correction is meant only when the deviation is more than grade 2 and is producing severe nasal obstruction, sinusitis and other related issues. Usually we perform both the surgeries tofgether in one go and the results are phenomenal as far as the airway patency is concerned. I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to knownor enquire, kindly do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP. Warm regards

| 

Why is there breathing difficulty in a person with deviated nasal septum?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a deviated nasal septum on the right side of my nose. I also have difficulty in breathing although I have deviated right side septum but still, I face breathing problems in the left side. I also sometimes feel pain on my face but my major problem is that if I use nasal sprays, ...  Read Full »

How to treat sore throat and post nasal drip with deviated nasal septum?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a sore throat and fever four months ago. I took some antibiotics (Cebosh) referred by an ENT and the sore throat went away. But I have a constant nasal dripping and throat clearing since then somedays it is more and some days it is normal. I can see mucus in my throat and it loo...  Read Full »

Snoring: How to Stop This Annoying Problem?

Article Overview: This article talks in detail about snoring, its causes, and management. Read Article

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Snoring is one of the most common problems we face in our life. Generally speaking, each one of us has an experience with snoring at least once in our lifetime. In medical terms, snoring is defined as a loud noisy breathing during sleep without sleep apnea syndrome as we are talking here about simp...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»