Q. Why do my nostrils get blocked often?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

I am 25 years old. I am 6 feet tall and my weight is 86 kg. Basically my entire problem starts at night while lying down. Three to four years back, I had mild pain. While lying down I feel acute pain or some tingling in my left chest sometime it goes down around my body. When I am about to get sleep I feel short of breath then I had to wake up and sit for a while. And also my nostrils are too often blocked. For few days I had Levocetirizine and currently just using nasal drops. Consulted many doctors over the years.  As per the doctors I have nasal muscle swollen or increased which is blocking the way. I had undergone some tests of heart (ECG) and took chest x-ray. Everything was pretty normal. But from last 3-4 days my nights are hell. I could not sleep at all. I am a smoker (half cigarette per day) and drinks alcohol twice a week. Please tell me which doctor to consult? Is it something serious?

#

I have checked your x-ray reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

1. You have deflected nasal septum with C-shaped deformity of the septal bone and cartilage. Due to this reason you are getting sleep apnea, breathless nights that makes you to wake up and sit for a while to catch the breath.

2. Chest pain is an additional symptom that may be due to smoking and it is giving bad impact on your lungs.

3. Smoking keeps lung tissue irritated and causing inflammation and then healing. This gets repeated in your case.

4. You need to curb smoking and alcoholic beverages.

5. Consult a sleep apnea specialist for better management. If felt necessary he will advise medication or will refer you to an otorhinolarngologist for nasal defects. That may need surgical correction.

Consult your doctor for prescription of :
1. Prednisone by mouth.
2. Ibuprofen oral.
3. Ebastine (Evastine) oral.
4. Use saline nasal spray for better relief.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|