Q. I am a diabetic and pregnant for 3 months without doctor consultation. Is my baby safe?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

I am a diabetic patient for two years and currently entered the third month of pregnancy. And till now, I did not consult any doctor. Is my baby safe? I am taking iron, calcium, and zinc tablets for six months. Please tell me about the precautions and healthy tips.

#

First of all, diabetes with pregnancy is a high risk pregnancy. The blood sugars should be checked before getting pregnant. In case a woman gets pregnant with high blood sugar levels, then there can be a risk of miscarriages, and certain congenital disabilities in the baby.

Please check your blood glucose levels and HbA1c level to see for your glycemic control. Also, I am assuming you are taking folic acid supplements because that is a vitamin that helps prevent certain birth defects (neural tube defects - in other words brain and spine defects) in the baby.

It would have been good if you had mentioned the medications that you been taking for your diabetes to check if you could continue them, also if any dose modifications are required. Because pregnancy-induced hormonal changes can disturb the glucose control as the pregnancy advances and it needs close monitoring.

Please get back to me with the necessary details so that I can help you better and guide you through your pregnancy.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

| 

I had pregnancy diabetes. But, why is my sugar level shooting up even after pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, During pregnancy, I checked my sugar levels. It was very high. I consulted a sugar specialist. She gave me Glucophage 500 mg. In the seventh month, I used insulin. The doctor said that it is pregnancy diabetes and after delivery, it will get alright. But after delivery, my sugar ...  Read Full »

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full »

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»