Q. I had pregnancy diabetes. But, why is my sugar level shooting up even after pregnancy?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

During pregnancy, I checked my sugar levels. It was very high. I consulted a sugar specialist. She gave me Glucophage 500 mg. In the seventh month, I used insulin. The doctor said that it is pregnancy diabetes and after delivery, it will get alright. But after delivery, my sugar level went very high. I started taking 500 mg Glucophage twice. But, my sugar was still not controlled. Now, I am taking 1 g at night. Please guide me. And, I want to know if pregnancy diabetes will go away or not. My fasting sugar is 200 and random is 200 to 250.

Do you have a question on Gestational Diabetes or Metformin?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

MBBS., MRCGP INT., PGDIP ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETES,LONDON UNIVERSITY
Diabetology Endocrinology

• I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have diabetes and you must take treatment for it.
  • Gestational diabetes which you had during pregnancy may be the time you discovered that you had diabetes but you must have been having it from before that as well even though you did not know about it.
  1. You must start taking tablet Gliclazide MR 30 mg once daily, and tablet Metformin 500 mg thrice daily.
  2. Do your HbA1c test now and again after three months.
  3. Review again with me after HbA1c test results.
  4. Avoid carbohydrates and fats.
  5. Exercise for 30 minutes daily by walking.
  6. Drink eight to 10 glasses of water.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health
Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management.  Read Article »
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Diabetologist

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc ...  Read Article »

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from gestational diabetes mellitus without any doubt. As per IADPSG criteria (International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group) and DIPSI criteria (The Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group India) both makes you overt diabetic. T...  Read Full »

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?
Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now