Q. I am diabetic since 22 years of age and taking insulin. Is it type 1 or 2?

Dr. Shazli Naseer

I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 22. When I was first diagnosed, I was taking pills which never worked. So, after a while, I started taking Insulin and have been since. I am taking five shots a day including rapid and long-acting Insulin. I was wondering if I would be type 1 or type 2 diabetic.

#

You can be either type 1 diabetic or LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult) which behaves exactly like type 1. That is why pills worked for you first and then you ended up on Insulin. Either way, you will surely need Insulin to survive. I can recommend some tests to confirm your type and I can help plan your treatment according to your weight and some nutrition counseling that will help control your blood sugar nicely.

|