Q. Please have a look on the blood report of a diabetic patient and explain.

Answered by
Dr. Parth R Goswami
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Oct 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am writing this for my brother. He is a diabetic and taking medicine from the last three years. He recently came to home for a short vacation and undergone health check-ups. After studying the reports, our family doctor pointed out certain elevated values like Hb, etc., and suggested him to consult a Hematologist. Soon, we consulted a Hematologist and he advised him to do certain lab tests. The reports are ready except one that is JAK 2 ARMS PCR.

We are little bit worried over him. Kindly go through the attachment and advise us with your valuable opinion. Does he have any serious health related issues? Your prompt reply will be much appreciated.

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Hematology Pathology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read the attached report of your brother (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The main abnormal finding in CBC report is elevated red blood cells count and PCV. The hemoglobin level is also raised slightly. So, it is suggestive of polycythemia. It can be secondary which is more common or primary.

The primary type include problem in bone marrow for which your brother have been instructed to investigate with JAK2 study. It will help in ruling out primary polycythemia. The secondary cause includes respiratory disease, cardiac disease, chronic smoking, dehydration, etc. So, if any of such history is present or if smoking history is present, then kindly mention it to guide you further. I suggest you drink lots of water at least 2 to 3 liters per day. He needs to stop smoking if he is having habit of it.

Additionally I suggest you investigate with chest X-ray, EKG, serum EPO estimation for further work up. Kindly revet back with reports once done including JAK2. He has to repeat CBC after 15 days to check red blood cells and PCV value again. Do not worry. Most of such cases are secondary polycythemia. You can discuss all these with your treating hematologist. Additionally, I want to point you that your brother 's diabetes is not controlled. He need to be given combination of two drugs and life style need to be changed to control sugar.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Video
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?  Read Full »


Article Overview: The number of people being diagnosed with diabetes is drastically increasing. To know how diabetes affects your heart, kidney, and brain, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Diabetes? Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a condition that affects how your body uses blood glucose or blood sugar. Glucose is an important source of energy for the cells in the body, and it is the main source of fuel of the brain. There are many types of diabetes depending on the cause, b...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.