Q. Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?

#

Yes, your hemoglobin value is high and needs to be investigated.

Let me know if your hematocrit values were checked. If it is high as well, the condition is polycythemia. The cause for polycythemia may be secondary to chronic hypoxia due to a chronic heart failure or chronic lung disease.

If no secondary cause is present, then primary polycythemia can be evaluated through molecular testing for JAK2 mutation.

For polycythemia, phlebotomy and hydroxyurea therapy are the treatments of choice.

Get your blood pressure checked.

I suggest the following investigations to rule out secondary polycythemia:

1. EKG (electrocardiogram).
  2. Chest X-ray.
  3. Spirometry.

If you have polycythemia, you cannot donate blood.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|