Q. Can diabetes make my hands itchy and numb?

Published on Apr 30, 2017

I am suffering from anxiety and depression from past few years. I took various antidepressants. Now I am taking Vilazodone, one tablet in the morning and Lonazep 0.25 mg from last ten days. But I am having breathlessness and palpitations when I do any small physical activity and irritability. My hands get numb, and itching occurs on my hands and legs. I guess it is because of diabetes. I feel my chest is heavy, and my legs and back pains a lot. My sugar level is 130 fasting and 235 postprandial. I am taking Glimisave M. My sugar levels fluctuate badly, and my HbA1c is more than 7, a few months back. I think due to sugar intake it is out of control; otherwise, it is normal. I have very low energy due to depression medicines, and I am very drowsy, and irritability does not reduce. I have negative thoughts, and my hands get numb. I have a habit of chewing tobacco. Please, advice some treatment.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I am sorry to know that despite the best efforts you are not responding with current antidepressants and there are active symptoms.

• I suggest the following treatment given a diagnosis of diabetes with depression.
  1. Tablet Duloxetine (Duzela M) 30 mg in the morning and 30 mg in the evening. The reason for recommending this medicine is because it is quite effective for pain symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy along with depression.
  2. Tablet Aripiprazole (Arpizol) 5 mg in the morning. Although it comes from an antipsychotic group of medicines, my purpose here is to augment the action of antidepressants while addressing anger associated with depression
  3. Tablet Lonazep (Clonazepam) can be continued as per the current level if there is adequate sleep. In case sleep has been an issue despite the medicines, I will recommend upping the dose of Lonazep to 0.5 mg at bedtime.
  4. Regarding Vilazodone, I think it should be removed as it is causing intolerable side effects. Also, this particular antidepressant has little role in pain associated with neuropathy, and I think Duloxetine will be a better option.
  5. There is need to stop tobacco. This is because many of the medicines mentioned above have poor efficacy when tobacco is consumed.
  • You need to consult your diabetes doctor, as poor control of diabetes could be a significant reason for the poor response. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

In case you have more questions, feel free to write back to me.

For further queries consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

I am feeling very drowsy after taking Duzela M 30 mg and Arpizol 5 mg.

#

• I suggest taking the capsule Duzela at night. Generally, it is nonsedative, but 10 to 20 % individuals report drowsiness after using it. In this situation, it is recommended to take it at night, 30 minutes before bedtime.
  • I must assure you that it is not a serious side effect and it is likely to disappear in few days.

For more information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every coin h...  Read Article

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

I am a diabetic and have severe burning pain in feet. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from severe and continuous toe burning for the last two years. It spread up to the middle of the feet. After 30 to 45 minutes of walking the burning becomes more intolerable. I wake up in the night due to disturbed sleep. My age is 69 years, and weight is 83 kg. I am diabet...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. It seems that you have been suffering from diabetic neuropathy. However, I would like to exclude vitamin B12 deficiency as well as high uric acid before stating this. So, I would like you to get the following investigations. Serum vitamin B12 ass...  Read Full

Ask an Andrologist Now