iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPediatricsdiarrheaCan calcium and vitamin D cause loose motions in a 1-month-old?

Can calcium and vitamin D supplements cause loose motions in a 1-month-old baby?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 5, 2022
Reviewed AtDecember 18, 2023

Patient's Query

My baby is 1-month-old. For the last two days, he has been having loose motions. He is passing around six to seven stools per day. I have given him Nor Metrogyl suspension . However, it did not help. He had jaundice a few days back, but now it is cleared. I am giving him Coralium-D3 drops and Esd3-800 drops. Are they the reason for the loose motions?

Kindly suggest.

I understand your concern.

Vitamin D3 and calcium supplements do not cause loose motions. So, it is not a concern. Loose motion medicines like Metrogyl are not recommended in infants. So stop giving it, as it can aggregate loose motions. If the baby is exclusively breastfed and passing adequate urine, then you need not worry. Loose motions usually subside over a period of time. It is common but not a cause of major concern if the baby is active and playful. Please focus on exclusive breastfeeding.

Kindly get back in case of any concerns.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati
Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati

Pediatrics

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

diarrheacalcium supplements

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pediatrics

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy