Q. Do I need antibiotics for diarrhea?

Dr. Uphar Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

Four days ago, when I was away from home for some work, I felt sick and my hands and feet were numb for several hours. Then, I had fever for three nights with soaking sweats followed by continuous diarrhea for the last four days. I am going nearly 8 to 12 times a day. I read the symptoms on Campylobacter and it seems pretty similar. Do I need antibiotics? Does it go away by itself? I assume that I should not take medicine to stop the diarrhea. I did have chicken before all of this started. Not sure if that is connected. Thank you

Dr. Uphar Gupta

#

• Diarrhea can be due to a multiple number of organisms and may have a similar presentation as you. It may be due to virus or bacteria.
  • The first thing is to take plenty of fluids. If ORS (oral rehydration salts) is available, then that will be the best choice.
  • Next, take probiotics such as Lactobacillus spores (Tablet Sporlac) three times daily. It does replenishment of good bacteria.
  • If diarrhea continues, then please get a stool examination and we shall start antibiotic accordingly.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Does my kid have loose motions due to packaged milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 13 months old and 8 kg weight. He is having loose motion over a week. I have given him Oflomac-M and Sporlac tablet twice a day. As he did not suffice, stopped giving him Amul milk and started Isomil. Later he was fine for the next 2 days and when I started back Amul milk since...  Read Full »

Why does my baby poop frequently with gas?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1-month-old daughter. For the past two days, she passes the poop with more gas. I am breastfeeding her (no top milk). She has developed a rash over her genital area. Can you suggest something for her gas problem and frequently pooping with gas? I think pooping frequently causes ...  Read Full »

My 20 months old daughter has diarrhea and vomiting, and has not peed since afternoon. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 20 months old daughter did not pee last week for above 24 hours, the next day she did pee, but also vomited. On the same day, she was having a fever of 102 F, so we went to the pediatrician. He gave Vomitab, Calpol, and an antibiotic injection. From the past three days, the urine ou...  Read Full »