Q. How to treat acute diarrhea and vomiting?

Dr. Payas Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

My son is 21 months old. He is suffering from very acute diarrhea. That is four to five times in an hour and frequent vomiting, four times a day from the last four days. We consulted a local doctor. He advised the attached prescription and stool test. As per him it is due to severe bacterial infection in the stomach, which is resulting in diarrhea. My son is not suffering with dehydration and his fluid intake is sufficient. He himself is asking for food, but due to frequent motions, he is weak and the rashes makes him irritated. Please give your suggestions. We are worried as it seems that medicines are not healing it in a faster way. He got only 5% relief in three days. Doctor said that it will take three to four days to become normal and stool test is also fine.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understand your concern for your child. I have seen the attached documents (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, this seems to be acute diarrhea, probably viral diarrhea.
  • As you told the baby is otherwise active and also is asking to eat that is a good sign. It means he might be having only some dehydration or rather no dehydration.
  • I would like to tell you that the first and foremost is treat dehydration or avoid it which can be done by ORS (oral rehydration salt) if the child is eating.
  • Some more questions to be answered are as follows. Is there any fever? What is the color of stools and any blood associated with it?

Acute diarrhea.

1. Give him ORS with each loose stool or whatever amount child takes. Prepare by adding a whole sachet in 1 liter water.
2. Syrup Zinc 5 mL for 14 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

My 20 months old daughter has diarrhea and vomiting, and has not peed since afternoon. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 20 months old daughter did not pee last week for above 24 hours, the next day she did pee, but also vomited. On the same day, she was having a fever of 102 F, so we went to the pediatrician. He gave Vomitab, Calpol, and an antibiotic injection. From the past three days, the urine ou...  Read Full »

When to Worry About Diarrhea in Children?

Article Overview: Diarrhea is dangerous for a child. It appears harmless, but slowly it makes the child sick. It makes the child pass out and to be brought to the hospital as an emergency. Here are some tips to look for the danger signs of diarrhea.  Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Paediatrician

Diarrhea: Passing watery stools is diarrhea. It does not cause much harm if the child has no dehydration, but medical help should be sought. The doctor is the one to determine whether the child has dehydration or not. It is a more dangerous if the kid has vomiting along with watery stools....  Read Article